Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing: New Horizons capture the duality of man

Miles Beckston Kiernan, Arts & Entertainment Section Editor

These are trying times to say the least. Many friends and family of mine have expressed their discontent at being confined in the same place all the time. Cabin fever is hitting some of us more than others, and we’ve been scrambling to find something to occupy all this free time.

As if on cue, two highly anticipated games graced our screens on the same day.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons, in which you play as an adorable version of yourself having moved to a desert island, and started a new life. You help to develop, and improve life on the island for yourself, and your anthropomorphic pals.

On the other hand is Doom Eternal, a blatant celebration of gore and violence of all kinds. You play as the Doomslayer, a marine with a temper, and a low tolerance for the legions of the underworld that have so rudely decided to invade Earth. With an arsenal of ridiculous weapons, and tools, you blast your way through the hordes of the damned.

With these two significantly different games, fans of video games on either side of the spectrum can get their fix.

When asked how these games have had an effect on his quarantine, Riverton High School student, Lincoln MacKay said, “I would’ve had an actual mental breakdown if I didn’t have Animal Crossing to keep me happy and entertained.”

As I played through Animal Crossing, I couldn’t help but smile at how wholesome the whole point of the game is.

You indulge in the benefits of living in an underdeveloped place with activities such as fishing, catching bugs, or digging for fossils in order to make new developments for your local museum.

Aside from working on the museum, the game is full of fun features, like traveling to other islands, and inviting new characters to yours to diversify and help your island grow.

There are also several seasonal events involved. An event called Egg Day is currently being implemented to the joy, and sometimes the chagrin, of many players.

No matter how you look at it the game is a recipe for peace of mind and a sense of contentment.

“It’s so therapeutic. It makes social distancing a bit easier, being able to see your friends in some way,” says Salvador Mendez, lead singer for Simplicity.

All things considered, the game is definitely a win in the situation.

And then comes Doom Eternal.

At times I found myself laughing at how ridiculous this game could be.

However this wasn’t a bad thing. As I traversed a changed Earth, filled with hellish entities and absurd monsters, I started to enjoy myself.

When you weaken your enemies in doom you can initiate what’s known as a “glory kill.” This is essentially the most gratuitous, gore-filled way to eliminate your opponents. While entertaining, seeing some of the actions you partake in can be hard to watch for more sensitive players.

Full of collectibles such as cute vinyl figures of the demons you face, or records that you can play in your main base of operations, the game knows not to take itself too seriously. This air of dark humor provides a good laugh alongside the harsh world that the Doomslayer inhabits.

Whether you have an obsession with cute and fun games, grotesque displays of the macabre, or like to balance the both of them, like me, I believe that both of these games are worthy additions to your collection if you’ve found yourself in need of a reprieve from the stressful and somewhat uncertain state of things.