The positive effect of PUMPS and its unfortunate termination

Miles Beckston Kiernan, Arts & Entertainment Section Editor

School Clubs are viewed as a place where students can come together to meet and bond over a common interest.

The cancellation of certain clubs, however, seems to show that the school may value some more than others despite the positive effects some can have. 

The People’s Unvisible Music Preservation Society, more commonly known as PUMPS, was a club that ran from 2015 to 2019 at Riverton High School. 

The club focused around music and why it was important, having students share their music taste and learn more about each other through their different tastes. 

When asked what he liked most about PUMPS, Parley Kimball, a student of Riverton High, stated that, “it was really nice to see what other people my age were listening to.” He also went on to say that a lot of the music that was shared with him is still in his library. 

While lots of people have different tastes in music, what made the club special was how open minded everyone in attendance was about listening to music they might have ignored otherwise. 

PUMPS bridged a gap between students that might not have ever talked to each other in another setting. A shared taste in music (or anything really) can bring two unlikely friends together. 

On the other hand, a group of individuals with many different interests in music can provide new and exciting things to listen to for each other. In either scenario music can bring people together. 

So why was it cancelled? According to Riverton High School’s Journalism teacher, Michael Henriksen, it had to do with attendance. 

When the club started, the regular amount of students that came to PUMPS was around ten to twenty people, showing people clearly had an interest in the club. 

However, as the years went on, the numbers started to drop. By the end of 2019, only around five to ten people were attending PUMPS. With dwindling numbers the school decided it was time to say goodbye to the club.

When I asked his opinion on the matter, Mr. Henriksen said, “Clubs like PUMPS have their place because they’re important to enough people, and that is reason enough to do it.” 

Stuff like this happens quite frequently to clubs with smaller numbers. Schools put more time, and funding into clubs that revolve around sports, often overlooking clubs revolving around the fine arts. 

These clubs may seem minor to school boards, and maybe even some students, but they can have a major impact on lots of people.