Social media is the new dictator of students social life

Lilly Fulks, News and Features Section Editor

Picture this, you’re walking into a room full of people, yet it’s silent. You wonder why, only to take a closer look and realize that everyone’s faces are lit up, eyes locked onto screen, fingers sliding up and down in an almost hypnotizing movement. 

No one cares to notice your presence, or the presence of anyone else in the room, completely enveloped in an object that is now a part of everyday life, the cellphone.

What you’re picturing is a basic highschool environment, a perfect example of cell phones becoming so prominent in our lives that simply setting them down breaks most students. 

It has gotten to the point where many students believe that being social doesn’t mean you have to have a face to face conversation with people. Elizabeth Day, a RHS senior believes, “that my social life extends far beyond just saying hi to people in the hall, it’s scrolling through Instagram to see what others are doing, back and forth snapchats to people,” which is a view many other students have agreed on.

Other students have come out and said that they often believe the amount of followers they have on Instagram, or amount of notifications they get on their phone, highlights their social status. 

“When I see people who are constantly texting people back, or constantly getting notifications from people, I can’t help but question my friends status, like somehow the amount of people who text me, or follow me, delegate the amount of people who care about me in real life,” said Abby Wandell, a RHS senior. 

This is an opinion shared by many, just look at how many times people have ended a conversation with “what’s your instagram” or “can I have you snapchat” and you’ll understand just how prominent this is. 

As social media starts to become an outlet for many people’s social life, it is also becoming a back bone for social situations in real life.

RHS senior, Angela Lin said, “I usually go on social media when there’s no one in the room I can talk to, or if a sense of awkwardness falls over us,” when I asked her why she goes to this, instead of trying to make small talk, she pointed out that “going on social media and talking to people are two completely different scenarios. One you get full control of what happens in the situation, the other you don’t.”

This is a point many students have made, with most noting that they feel more comfortable on social media because they get to control what they see and what they say, and have more time to make decisions about what will happen next. 

Not only that, but on social media, you get to control what people know and perceive about you. On social media it is almost as if you are taken out of reality, and given complete control.

Face to face conversation can lead to disaster, and too many emotions coming out, with little time to think about what to say, or understand what a person is saying. Social media on the other hand allows you to construct your next reply, and rethink and reconstruct before making the final statement. 

As social media rises, so will the emphasis on it. Students understand many of their peers go on it, and learned to utilize this. Whether it be through asking someone out on a date over direct message, or stalking a person to see their friend status, social media has become a second world of social interaction for many students.