Credits are credits, why does grade level matter?

Kaleb Shaeffer, Sports and Clubs Section Editor

RIVERTON-UT One credit is one credit, why should it matter how old I am? Credits are something every highschooler has to worry about. Twenty seven credits and you finally get to graduate, and then you’re off to bigger and better things.

The way the credit system works confuses a lot of people. Some classes count as language arts credits for only seniors, and simply elective credits for the rest of the school population. Why do seniors get different credits for the same classes that are available for the rest of us? Why does it come down to age/grade level rather than the content of the course itself?

Journalism, Mythology I & II, Film and Literature, and Science Fiction literature all count and general elective credits for sophomores and juniors, but as a language arts credit for seniors. The class itself is exactly the same, no matter the grade level, much like the science classes. 

The Counseling Center says that, “credit distribution is dictated by the state curriculum,” Exceptions can be made for those who are graduating early, but that is something that has to be discussed with your counselor prior to your taking the class and graduation.

There isn’t a real rhyme or reason to why these classes count as different credits for different grade levels. It really is just what the state dictates through its curriculum. Leslie Thompson, a language arts teacher here at Riverton speculates that, “there’s a set curriculum for tenth and eleventh grade, seniors have more freedom,”

“A friend of mine took journalism in his junior year because he thought it was a language arts credit. He didn’t know it was only an elective credit until the end of the year,” says KJ Hallett, an RHS sophomore.