Boy choice dances have higher ticket sales than girls choice dances

People are expected to put a significant amount of money into dances.

Lilly Fulks, News and Features Section Editor

Most highschool students have come to the conclusion that when girl choice dances roll around we should expect packed auditoriums, huge day date groups, and dance photos with at least 8 couples in it. It is pretty much a school wide fact that girls tend to ask to more dances then guys, but what are the actual numbers? 

According to this year’s sales as reported by the main office, more than half the amount of money spent on homecoming tickets was spent on Girls Pref tickets, with homecoming tickets reaching $1,029, and girls pref only making $470. 

So if there is such a big gap in the numbers, why does everyone feel girls tend to ask more than guys?

Firstly, the number of dances. Girls do have more dances than boys do. You can look at this two ways, one is that boys have less dances, so they have less money to spend, and less to plan for, so why shouldn’t they be asking. 

That’s because the boys do have a lot more formal, “big deal” dances that may require a little more planning and money, and according to Bryson Steck, “Boys do not want to put in so much money into the activities,” so they avoid having to by simply not asking. 

The girls dances are a little easier. You don’t have to drop a ton of money on a dress because most of our dances are not as formal. Which also means the day date doesn’t have to be over the top either. Resulting in a dance that can still be both fun and cheap, and better fit the occasion.  

Plus girls strive for that “highschool experience they see in the movie” according to Olivia Joosten. 

In both cases, students may not be asking to dances simply because they do not have the money, can’t go, or feel “they won’t have fun…”

No matter what the reason sales are always going to vary during dance season. So instead of focusing on the numbers, let’s just focus on having fun when the next dance rolls around.