RHS football team send off into the playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Isaac Rengers, Staff Writer

The Riverton High School football team was birthed into the state playoff tournament this past year. After going 6-4 in the regular season the team yielded the number thirteen seed. “Our team is a team you gotta watch out for in the playoffs,” was one comment from one of Riverton’s team captains in regards of what people should think of the silverwolves headed into the playoffs. After a little controversy over a recruiting scandal, Lone Peak holds their number twenty seed and played Riverton in the first round. Playing at home was a comforting feeling that made Riverton feel like they had the upper hand. Ultimately Lone Peak came into the Wolf Den and took care of business winning 37-8. 

After the first quarter of the Riverton vs Lone Peak game, the score was 27-0. A mishandled snap by Riverton on the first punt of the game was run back for a touchdown and Lone Peak quickly went up 7-0. After punting the ball away on the next drive Riverton gave up a quick fifty yard drive ending in more Lone Peak points. Now down 14-0 with eight minutes left in the first quarter after the Silverwolves regain possession once again they throw an interception that is returned for a touchdown and fall down 21 points. Lone Peak ended up scoring one more touchdown at the end of the first quarter, but failed to convert on the extra point. 

Going into the second quarter down 27 Riverton failed to score any point but held the opportunistic Lone Peak offense to only three points. Ending the half at a score of 30-0 in Lone Peak’s favor. Going into the locker room Riverton’s coaching staff said, “We’ve gotta stop beating ourselves if we want to win this game and move onto the next round.”

Riverton came out in the second half aggressive and attempted a surprise onside kick. Initially the play was ruled a recovery by the Riverton kicking team but after a conference of the referees they decided to change their minds saying that Riverton touched the ball and committed a penalty on the play giving the Knights the ball to start the half.

The first score of the third quarter came from Riverton’s running back Brayden Hunkin on a two yard rushing touchdown. The two point conversion was successful and Riverton made the score 30-8.

After a long quarter of defense Lone Peak put it in the endzone with one minute to go and converted on the extra point to make the score 38-8. Riverton would be down 30 heading into what could be their last quarter of the season. 

The fourth quarter was all defense and neither team scored a single point. The final score would be 38-8 and the Silverwolves were eliminated from the playoffs effectively ending their season. The Knights would move on to play Skyridge in the next round of the playoffs.