For new or returning Riverton swimmers

Chase Budge, Staff Writer

Being a Riverton High School swim team captain in the 2018-19 season, I’ve dealt with a lot of things. I have been around to experience just about everything there is for the swim team here.

Now, with that said, I’d say I also have plenty of advice for others to make their life much easier in and out of the pool, and to prepare themselves for future success.

Now, I didn’t swim my freshman year, so I will say that I did miss out on that. I’ll also put that the next three years after that weren’t short of hard work and determination.

Going into my first year on swim, I was coming off of previously playing baseball a few summers before, leaving that due to a back injury. Honestly it’s kind of crazy that I joined because it wasn’t even on my list of things I’d want to try at first. In fact, the only reason I even attempted it was because I wanted to be on a high school team, and two of my friends convinced me to give it a try.

With that said, I did absolutely no exercise over the summer. Instead, I did landscaping. Along with that first huge mistake, my second was making my first time ever swimming competitively the swim tryouts.

Still to this day, I remember that fateful first 500 yard freestyle swim being so horrible on me.

So anyway, to those coming who may read this and swim, you are rare. But also, I would say to make the swim season so much easier and successful, stay consistent with training. Do not fall to the habit of making excuses. Use summers and extra free time to lift and train.

My first summer off I swam for a club team called Fish Market. My 50 freestyle time dropped 3 seconds over the summer. Along with that, I would lift at the gym a couple times a week to stay sprinter strong.

I find a common misconception is that if you do all of that, then you don’t have time to hangout with friends or family or anything. That’s just not true. I had plenty of free time over the summer especially.

Swimming is the hardest sport I’ve had to power through. So please, remember that no matter how hard the set is, the next part, the next practice, it’s all mental. You can do it. Eat lots, sleep lots, and get your technique down. You’ll go places, kid.

“You can do hard things swimmers!” -Riverton 2018-2019 Swim Coach Andrew Powers