How The Selective Service affects male RHS students

Kaden Smart, Section Editor

Recently the US deployed the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group to the Middle East in response to “A number of preparations for possible attack.” CBS reported from a Defence Department official.

New reports are also out on the White House considering plans on sending 120,000 troops to the Middle East in response to further provocations by the Iranian government and military.

News like this is becoming commonplace in our world. We are becoming more polarized politically, and that makes it difficult to create strong international relations, and it makes everyday citizens uneasy. War and conflict are widely known as being detrimental to humanity.

The idea of a possible war might not sit well with a lot of boys in RHS and across the country as they sign up for the selective service when they turn 18.

The selective service system was implemented in 1940, and it required all men from ages 18-64 to register. Currently, the age bracket is from 18-25.

“I think that every able young man should be required to put their name in the draft,”  says RHS senior Damian Reed.

“I was not excited to sign up for the selective service; I hope I am not drafted,” says Chase Budge, a senior at RHS.

I will be the first to say that I am as patriotic as they come. I will gladly serve my country to whatever capacity it asks me to. That being said, war is a scary idea. It changes people, and not everyone gets to make it back home. Still, I am glad that I am registered in the selective service. I will be glad to fight for my country, and if that means being ready for the draft, then I am happy to do it.