Summer reading assignments

Denelle Durling, Editor in Chief

The end of the school year is coming, and that means no more late night homework sessions and stressing over end of term grades. However, summer doesn’t mean a break from all the work.

Every summer, there are reading assignments given out depending on what English class you are going to be in the next school year.

These books typically have to be read by the time school starts again, or soon after. There are usually many assignments and quizzes at the beginning of the year that have to do with whatever book was assigned.

This summer, students taking English 10H next year will be reading The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury while those taking English 11H will be reading Warriors Don’t Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals. These books will hopefully prepare students for what they will be learning in their English classes.

Irena Weed, a junior, said, “I think it’s a good way to keep students mentally active [sic] but it takes away from a lot of other things during the summer.”

Students who will not be taking either of these classes next year don’t have an assignment and are completely free from any work over the summer.

Sydney Brown, a senior, says she is glad she doesn’t have a reading assignment this year because she wants to “spend time being outdoors and with my family”.