Riverton should add a welding program to the school

Back to Article
Back to Article

DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. -- Airman 1st Class Jonathan Trammell welds a part on the remodeled mortuary transfer vehicle.  Airmen from the metal technology shop here redesigned the inside of the truck to increase the capacity from two to six transfer cases.  Airman Trammell is assigned to the 436th Equipment Maintenance Squadron.  (U.S. Air Force photo by William M. Plate Jr.)

DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. -- Airman 1st Class Jonathan Trammell welds a part on the remodeled mortuary transfer vehicle. Airmen from the metal technology shop here redesigned the inside of the truck to increase the capacity from two to six transfer cases. Airman Trammell is assigned to the 436th Equipment Maintenance Squadron. (U.S. Air Force photo by William M. Plate Jr.)

USAF Photo by: William M. Plate

USAF Photo by: William M. Plate

USAF Photo by: William M. Plate

Parker Hansen, Staff Writer

Welding has become a very sought after trade in the last few years.  There are so many kids going to work for big tech companies that we will soon run out of tradesmen.  Having good tradesmen in the community is needed to help things run smoothly.

What would you do if your toilet suddenly broke and the only plumber in the area has a three week waiting list?  That could be reality if students are not encouraged to look into starting a trade.

Welding in particular is a good trade to get into right now because just about everything built requires a form of welding.  The technical definition for welding is to join together by heating the surfaces to the point of melting using a blowtorch, electric arc, or other means, and uniting them by pressing, hammering, etc.  Most metal consumer goods use one of the four main forms of welding which are: GMAW, SMAW, GTAW and FCAW.

Riverton High School should add a welding program to the school.

Sterling Hansen, a former RHS student, said, “After being out of high school, having more experience in trade would have definitely helped.  I would have taken a welding class for sure.”

There is a welding class offered at JATC, however, some kids are unable to commit two periods out of their schedule everyday.  For some people, they can’t afford to use that many credits on an elective. This means that they are unable to try welding and see if it is something that they would like to do for a career.

Dippy, a future RHS student, said, “Yes, I really like welding and I think it would be good for more people to learn how to weld. It would be good for students to learn that specific trade.”

If Riverton High School forms a welding program, I am sure that many students would appreciate it and love to sign up.  It would be best if the program was offered to sophomores, juniors, and seniors so that way, everyone has a chance to try it out.

• Riverton should add a welding program to the school

Mrs. Gough wins the Huntsman Award for Excellence in Education

RHS Hosts Job Fair

Review: Moulin Rouge Soundtrack

Seniors!!!

Youtube censorship

Why March Madness is so successful

Talks begin to lower voting age to 16

Fun Facts With Matthew: The Modern Plague

Spring Break is right around the corner

Do high school students eat breakfast?