BTS releases new EP ‘Map of the Soul: Persona’

Denelle Durling, Editor in Chief

BTS, a seven member group from South Korea, released a new EP on Friday, April 12th at 3 a.m. our time. The seven song album is the start of a new album series following their “Love Yourself” series. It became the group’s third number one album on the Billboard 200 chart.

The EP contains two major western artist collaborations. The title track, “Boy With Luv”, whose Korean title translates to “A Poem For The Small Things”, features Halsey. The song title is a reference to their 2014 single “Boy in Luv”, but has a completely different feel. “Boy in Luv” spoke more of a young, teen love, and had a hip-hop sound, while the pop track “Boy with Luv” talks about a mature, real love. It focuses on the little things that creates a bigger love.  

Ed Sheeran helped write the fourth track, “Make It Right”. The song is backed with a simple repetitive instrumental and synths. In it, the septet sings about a desire to make the world better and improve their relationships.

The album’s intro, “Intro: Persona” is a solo track handled by the group’s 24 year old leader, Kim Namjoon, commonly known by his stage name RM. This song starts with a sample from an intro he did on a previous album but then dives into RM’s steady rap flow. It is backed with a guitar riff that is reminiscent of the group’s earlier sound. The lyrics discuss character and identity and tells of his own personal journey in discovering who he is.

The third song, “Mikrokosmos”, explores the idea that every human is their own little universe, an Ancient Greek philosophy. This synth pop track has a light feel, sending the listener into a small microcosmos created by the song.

“HOME” is the fifth song and is written for their fans. The R&B track tells a story of how they left home to pursue their dreams, and now that they have made it, they need a new home to rest. Their fans have become this home for them. It has a homey, smooth feel.

The sixth track “Jamais Vu” is a subunit song featuring three of the members, Jin (Kim Seokjin), Jungkook (Jeon Jungkook), and J-Hope (Jung Hoseok). Jamais Vu is the opposite of Deja Vu, and occurs when one experiences something familiar, but it feels foreign to them. The song is pop ballad and expresses an aching for a “remedy” from the dullness they feel after a major loss.   

“Dionysus” finishes the album with an interesting twist. It reverts back to the rock sound that was introduced in “Intro: Persona”, again blending it with hip-hop. The lyrics describe “a crazy artist”, and being rejected only to rise in power in their own way, another nod to Ancient Greece.

The album uses many different sounds and concepts to discuss identity, a thing every person battles with. The album is definitely worth a listen, and although the majority of the songs are sung in Korean, English translations are easily accessible.

Keora Anderson, a senior, said “I love BTS, and I think a lot more people should listen to them.”

Sydney Brown, a senior, said she would be willing to listen to the new album because “it seems very interesting, and they always have good messages for society”.

• BTS releases new EP ‘Map of the Soul: Persona’

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS] Avengers: Endgame review

Movie Review: Pokémon Detective Pikachu

Is Morp worth it?

Review: Moulin Rouge Soundtrack

MDT to perform ‘Catch Me If You Can’

Youtube censorship

Center Stage Showcase

Netflix releases trailer for new Stranger Things season

RHS Dance Company to perform

‘Sierra Burgess is a Loser’ on Netflix