Why standardized tests are the worst

Keora Anderson, Editor in Chief

At the end of every school year, students are subjected to the grueling process that is standardized testing. Students are expected to sit for hours answering questions and writing essays for the benefit of the school or district that they are a part of. Students receive no incentive to push them to perform well on these tests. Why should students even try?

The before stated question is one that is on many students’ minds as they sit for hours filling in bubbles. If there is no benefit and it doesn’t go on their grade, then why would a student do their best or even sub-par work?

The goal of these tests is simple: individual schools and school districts want to see how students are performing. This goal, however, is not accurately achieved through these tests. There is no way to see if you are getting an accurate rating.

While some students will do their best work regardless of personal gain or incentive, many more students will refuse to try or will not put much effort into something that does not affect them at all.

So, while in theory standardized testing makes sense and seems productive, in practice these tests do not provide accurate information.

Students at Riverton share similar opinions on standardized tests.

Cayden Jacobson, a senior at Riverton, explained, “…it doesn’t fully show the student’s full knowledge. Not to mention the pressure it puts on students. Often times there are students who usually do good in the class [but] underperform because of the stress and pressure of the tests.”

Megan McCabe, a senior at Riverton, shared, “I personally do not think standardized testing is effective. I have heard many people say they don’t try on the test and fake the answers. Doing this makes the results unreliable and not worth it. I also only ever hear complaints about it, [sic] I never hear someone excited about the test.”