Lagoon zoo animals in horrible conditions

Keora Anderson, Editor in Chief

FARMINGTON, UTAH — Lagoon, a beloved amusement park that opened in 1886, is home to many thrill rides, attractions, and, unbeknownst to many, animals.

Lagoon is known for its many thrill rides/roller coasters such as Wicked, Cannibal, Colossus, and many more. What Lagoon is not known for is its animal collection.

In order to experience the animal collection, a visitor must board Lagoon’s very own Wild Kingdom Train.

Once the passengers board the train, they are off on a trek around the lagoon. The riders will first be introduced to a Siberian Tiger, a White Bengal Tiger, a couple of African Lions, and a Mountain Lion. These big cats are each crammed into cement floored cages with insufficient room for their large frames.

Once the visitors are introduced to these wild cats, they are briskly taken away to see many other animals such as a Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Rocky Mountain Elk, White American Bison, Bactrian Camel, Panther, Red Kangaroo, Warthog, and many others.

Each of these animals has little to no room to roam around and barely sufficient shelter from Utah’s harsh weather conditions.

Many people are appalled by the conditions that these animals are subjected to. Many petitions have been passed around in hopes of having the animals removed from Lagoon and placed into sanctuaries to live out the rest of their lives.

While many students at Riverton did not even know that Lagoon had zoo animals, the students who were aware of the animals had very strong opinions on the matter.

Emily Butler, a senior at Riverton, shared, “The enclosures are right in between big rides, and I feel like that disturbs them.” She continued saying, “A lot of them are just laying down, not really moving.”

Hailey Black, a senior at Riverton, said, “They look pretty sad.”  She continued stating, “They’re in really small enclosures, and [the cement floors] are really bad for their joints.”