‘Wicked’ tickets for $25 at the Eccles Theater

Back to Article
Back to Article

Makenna Dibble, Section Editor

One of the most famous Broadway musicals is coming to Salt Lake City at the Eccles Theater. “Wicked” will be at the theatre from January 30th until March 3rd.

Tickets for the show are being sold for $25 a ticket. Too good to be true? There is a catch: you have to be at the Black Box theater box office two and a half hours before a performance and enter your name into a drawing.

The winners can buy one or two tickets, but they must have a valid photo ID and pay with cash.

The Drama Teacher, a newsletter for theater lovers, says, “For most weeks in its 10+ year run, ‘Wicked’ has been Broadway’s top grossing show… ‘Wicked’s’ highest weekly gross was Christmas 2013 at $3,201,333 (w/e 29 December) – a Broadway record.”

On the plot of the musical, IMDb shared, “‘Wicked’ tells the story of Elphaba, the future Wicked Witch of the West and her relationship with Glinda, the Good Witch of the North. Their friendship struggles through their opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, their reactions to the Wizard’s corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba’s public fall from grace.”

Sydney Snarr, a senior at RHS, said, “I’m very excited to have ‘Wicked’ come here! I have only seen ‘Wicked’ once before, but I’ve listened to the music my whole life. The main thing I think you can take away from the story is that friendship can overcome society’s challenges and expectations.”

Mckenna Bailie, a senior and theater student at RHS, said, “Oh my goodness. I am so excited for ‘Wicked’ to come! I haven’t ever seen it before, but I have heard nothing but good things. I don’t know the whole story, but, after hearing a lot of the songs, I think the main takeaway is that we should all be who truly are and not be influenced by society. We shouldn’t change for other people. We should just do what makes us happy.”