Are these the reasons your New Year’s resolutions failed?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Delaney Shell, Staff Writer

There was a survey done in 2016 that showed that almost 80% of New Year’s resolutions failed during the second week of February.

“I attempted a resolution once, but it ended up as a fail,” said Parker Shepherd, a Junior at  Riverton High School. “I just didn’t have enough time, and my old habits kept getting in the way.”

There are a multitude of different reasons why there is such a high rate of resolution failures most of which are psychological. Some of the most common mistakes of making resolutions are not having enough time, thinking too big, not having a clear plan, and not having the motivation to get started.

Derek Sivers, a generally successful American entrepreneur, stated during a TED Talk that there are many things that need to be done to achieve your biggest goals; however, “telling someone your goals makes them less likely to happen.”

When you tell people what you are going to do and they acknowledge it, your brain gets a false sense that it is already done. Psychologists call this a “social reality”. Your brain is satisfied; you are more likely to become less motivated to achieve the goal that you have told people about.

Without motivation, there is a very high chance that you will continue to be a couch potato and do nothing with the resolutions that you have set for the up and coming year. Even when you are extremely motivated to do the resolutions when you set them, it is easy to become unmotivated.

Some of the things that can be rather unmotivating are lack of clarity of what you actually want, if it’s not challenging enough, if you do not have a clear plan to execute, and fear of doing something different than your norm.

Stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something different, no matter how small, can be hard. Changing things up can be emotionally draining whether you are experiencing frustration, depression, fatigue, stress, weakness, or even a sense of being out of control. All of these things can contribute to the unfortunate failure of New Year’s resolutions.

So next time you decide that “this year is the year to make resolutions and stick to them”, keep this in mind, and perhaps don’t tell anyone.