“A Brief Inquiry” into The 1975’s new album

Back to Article
Back to Article

Denelle Durling, Editor in Chief

On November 30, indie pop/rock band The 1975 released their new album titled “A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships”.

This album stands out from their other albums but is still very much them. Emily Hollinger, a senior at Riverton, remarked, “It was different from their previous stuff, and it kind of shook me at first, but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it.”

Several of the songs on this album were released as singles before the album was officially released. These tracks were “TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME”, “Love It If We Made It”, “Sincerity Is Scary”, “Give Yourself A Try”, and “It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You)”. Don’t think the majority of the album was already heard though, this was only five out of the fifteen tracks on the album.

In every one of The 1975’s albums, the first track, or intro, is simply titled “The 1975”. For this album, it was no different. This track introduces the feel of the rest of the album, and has a very mechanical feel to it. This could represent the “online” part of “online relationships”.

The first new song was “How To Draw / Petrichor”, which is a very calming, ethereal sort of song. There isn’t much singing—mostly it is just instruments, with two short interludes for words. The lyrics are odd, and “open to interpretation” says Keora Anderson (Senior).

“Be My Mistake” has an acoustic sound, which makes it seem gentle and sweet. Instead, it has heartbreaking lyrics referring to someone trying to fill in the hole created by a lost lover. The relationship is temporary and meaningless, simply a distraction from the pain. This could symbolize using the internet and media to try to replace loneliness, heartbreak, or just boredom.

“I Like America & America Likes Me” contains a lot of fear. The words sung are not clear, and sort of slurred together. It sounds like someone begging for their life in a lot of ways, saying things like “I’m scared of dying” and “would you please listen”. It seems disconnected from the rest of the album, except in the sound of it.

“The Man Who Married A Robot /  Love Theme” isn’t really a song. There’s no music, only speaking. It tells a story that can be really shocking, and definitely gives an impression. It all ties into the overall theme that the internet is meaningless, and lonely.

Next is “Inside Your Mind”, a song which seems extraordinarily creepy. In many ways, it is. It refers to “wanting to know what your partner is thinking so much that you want to smash their head open to look”, says Matt Healy, member of the band and a writer of the song. This morbid theme is quite interesting to analyze, and it contributes to the album in an interesting way. It’s a slow, deep sort of song. It almost sounds romantic, in a horrible way. It’s about the illusion created.

“Surrounded By Heads and Bodies” is another slow, soft song. In a way, it is about solitude, as there are two people, the singer and “Angela”. This contradicts the title, yet another misleading idea.

“Mine” is more jazzy, and romantic. Contrary to the sound, the singer is hesitant to commit to a relationship enough for marriage. They are comforted that their lover is theirs, but they can’t bring themselves to say “I Do”.

“I Couldn’t Be More In Love” is a desperate track, with powerful vocals and a quitar solo ripping through. It is about what could have been, but no one cares anymore.

“I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)” is a wishy-washy track about the changing of life and feelings. It has heart wrenching vocals lamenting the desire to die—sometimes. Life changes, your home changes, everything changes.  

Overall, this album received a lot of positive feedback from fans. It carries an important theme that can be impactful, but also just really great songs if you don’t want to look to deep into it.

Denelle Durling, Editor in Chief

Denelle loves a lot of things, but writing is one of her favorites. She enjoys writing almost anything, from poems to novels to intriguing articles. She...

• “A Brief Inquiry” into The 1975’s new album

‘The Office’ relates to high school students

Book review: Shattered Snow

Patriots’ Josh “Flash” Gordon suspended by NFL for substance abuse

Movie review: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ shows Freddie Mercury in a way you’ve never seen before

Show review: ‘The Dragon Prince’ on Netflix

Performers reflect on Battle of the Bands experience

Riverton High School’s In the Heights gave students opportunity to be apart of a community

RHS Shooting Club gives students valuable opportunities

“The Crimes of Grindelwald”: Hit or miss?

Thriller Throwback; An underrated Mr. Jones