Army Black Knights third victory fuels winning streak

Back to Article
Back to Article

U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno and Sergeant Major of the Army SMA Raymond Chandler (U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Steve Cortez/ Released)

U.S. Army

U.S. Army

U.S. Army

Arianna Palacios-Moran, Staff Writer

The Army Black Knights and the Navy Midshipmen went face to face once again during America’s game on December 8th, 2018. The Black Knights celebrated their 3rd victory with a win of merely 7 points.

The game itself is well known for the intense rivalry between the United States Naval and Military Academies. However, the game captures more than a football rivalry; it captures the interservice rivalry within the United States Armed Forces.

Christian Sandoval, a retired US Army Master Sergeant, stated, “I think it’s a healthy way to showcase in service rivalry and the athletic talents of our servicemen. It also showcases the academic, athletic and service to country which is rare in collegiate sports.”

It is considered to be one of the most traditional and long lasting rivalries in college football and is televised on ABC, CBS, and NBC.

The first  game was on November 29, 1890 and has lived on since taking place on the second Saturday in December. It also marks the last game of the season for both teams.

Many of the players that have participated in the game have been able to go on and start and thrive with professional football careers in the NFL.

Attendees range from students and fans, to Veterans and Active Duty, to even some of our very own sitting presidents.

Alex Shaw, Gunnery Sergeant of the United States Marine Corps, commented, “It’s a deep rooted tradition and a great rivalry game, but at the same time sometimes people lose sight that we are still one Department of Defense.”

President Donald Trump was the first sitting president to attend the Army-Navy game in seven years. He had the honor to perform the coin toss at the beginning of the game as well.

“I love it; I love to watch it,” says Matthew Drachman, a junior at RHS. “It’s fun to watch the rivalries between the branches. Plus it’s football.”

There’s always room for redemption, and fans are anxious to see how they’ll end up next year.

• Army Black Knights third victory fuels winning streak

News

The big change at Riverton High

News

Police have started to ticket students parked by north parking lot exit

News

Riveton’s visit from Voterize

News

Riverton City passes an anti-abortion resolution

News

America just had another major school shooting, but is this having effects on Riverton students?

News

Riverton City to hold TEDx

News

Chalk-The-Walk

News

Summer reading assignments

News

Want to make your own club?

News

Online classes