Search for 5 US Marines called off, declared dead

OVER THE PACIFIC OCEAN -- A United States Marine Corp F/A-18D from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, takes fuel over the Pacific Ocean from a KC-10 Extender from the 2nd Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, NJ, during Exercise Valiant Shield, 20 June, 2006.  Valiant Shield 2006, the U.S. Pacific Command exercise, which runs June 19 to 23, will be conducted in the vicinity of Guam. Valiant Shield focuses on integrated joint training and interoperability among U.S. military forces while responding to a range of mission scenarios. 
(U.S. Air Force Photo/A1C Miranda M. Moorer)

A1C Miranda M. Moorer

OVER THE PACIFIC OCEAN -- A United States Marine Corp F/A-18D from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, takes fuel over the Pacific Ocean from a KC-10 Extender from the 2nd Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, NJ, during Exercise Valiant Shield, 20 June, 2006. Valiant Shield 2006, the U.S. Pacific Command exercise, which runs June 19 to 23, will be conducted in the vicinity of Guam. Valiant Shield focuses on integrated joint training and interoperability among U.S. military forces while responding to a range of mission scenarios. (U.S. Air Force Photo/A1C Miranda M. Moorer)

Kaden Smart, Staff Writer

The search for 5 missing Marines off the coast of Japan was called off on December 11th after nearly a week of searching by US, Australian, and Japanese military forces. The missing Marines have been declared deceased.

The incident happened Thursday, December 6th at 2am nearly 200 miles off the coast of Japan.

The accident was caused by a mid-air refueling mishap involving a Marine F/A-18 fighter jet and a KC-130 refueling plane. Reports say that the fighter jet was attempting to be refueled and came in too fast which led to the collision.

Both of the crew members from the fighter plane were able to eject, but only the weapons system operator survived. The pilot later died. The weapons system operator had only broken bones and has been released from the hospital. This accident claimed a total of 6 lives.

The pilot of the fighter jet was identified as Captain Jahmar Resilard.

The search for the missing Marines lasted 5 days and combined American, Australian, and Japanese assets to find them. The search utilised aircraft and naval vessels.

Japanese president Shinzo Abe sent his condolences to US president Donald Trump and the victims families saying, “The loss of the outstanding members of the US Marine Corps is my deepest regret, and I myself and the Japanese people share deep sorrow of the American people.”

Japan currently holds 18,000 US Marines, and both countries have enjoyed a strong relationship since the end of WW2.

The 5 missing Marines have been identified as Colonel Kevin Herrmann of North Carolina, Major James Brophy of New York, Staff Sergeant Maximo Flores of Arizona, Corporal Daniel Baker of Illinois, and Corporal William Ross from Tennessee. The names were released on Wednesday, December 12th.

While they have called off the search to find the Marines alive, the Marine Corps is still determined to find the aircraft and recover the bodies of the missing Marines.

Lucas Tomlinson is with Fox News and said that, “28 U.S. service members have been killed in aviation accidents this year.” He also claimed that the fighter jet pilot would have been wearing night vision goggles because of the time of day. Night vision goggles are known for altering your depth perception.

The Marines are still investigating the incident and have not released an official statement as to what happened.

Kaden Smart, Staff Writer

Kaden Smart is a senior at Riverton High School, he has lived in Riverton for the last 14 years. He lives with a family of six with three sisters. He previously...

• Search for 5 US Marines called off, declared dead

News

Army Black Knights third victory fuels winning streak

News

Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Utah counseling firm to move closer to homeless shelter

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

News

RHS vending machines having issues

News

California fires affecting air quality

Celebrity endorsements in elections

News

Utes take down the Oregon Ducks

Stan Lee passes away