Movie review: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ shows Freddie Mercury in a way you’ve never seen before

Back to Article
Back to Article

Waylon Finnerty, Staff Writer

Bohemian Rhapsody is a movie about who Freddie Mercury really was behind the image of the famous rock and roll band Queen. It is a movie that gives us the true backstory of Freddie’s struggle with who he was in the eyes of the public and his loved ones.

The movie gives us that nostalgia of all the Queen songs we have heard on the radio growing up, but it also gives us an even deeper meaning to what the band members meant to each other during their time together and their time apart.

Bohemian Rhapsody starts by showing us the early stages of Freddie and the band and moves on to the last stages with their songs, lyrics, sound, and styles within the band.

Freddie Mercury is a man of pride and creativeness. We know this as soon as the movie begins with scenes with his family not approving how he acted and the decisions he makes with what he wants to do with his life. They simply didn’t care about his love for music.

A lot of people definitely did not know what they were getting into when they went into this movie. Yes, they did get their nostalgic feelings, singing along and humming the songs in the theater, but they did not truly understand the pain and struggle Mercury had gone through once fully understanding that he was homosexual. This movie shows a side of a musician that is more unique than any other we have seen before.

Parts of the movie leave you wondering how the band was able to stand each other. There were times where Freddie would lose his way and go his separate way from the band. You obviously could look this up in a book or even on the internet about Queen and their history, but the movie does this in such a majestic and beautiful manner making the feeling of the movie exciting and full throttle the whole ride.

We see the creation of the master piece Bohemian Rhapsody in the movie giving its title a profound meaning and importance to what the film is about.

Music at Riverton High School is a very dynamic and diverse thing. It makes Riverton a good place to be with different ideas and sounds.

Kyra Bolander is a student at RHS that saw the film, and I asked her what she thought about it. She stated, “I thought it was amazing. It inspires me because I, myself, want to make music.”

Another student that attends Riverton gave her opinion on the film. She said, “It was interesting, but a very good movie overall.”

Rami Malek plays a crucial and very accurate portrayal of the one and only Freddie Mercury. From the style, voice, and personality, he nailed it with everything he had.

• Movie review: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ shows Freddie Mercury in a way you’ve never seen before

‘The Office’ relates to high school students

Book review: Shattered Snow

Patriots’ Josh “Flash” Gordon suspended by NFL for substance abuse

“A Brief Inquiry” into The 1975’s new album

Show review: ‘The Dragon Prince’ on Netflix

Performers reflect on Battle of the Bands experience

Riverton High School’s In the Heights gave students opportunity to be apart of a community

RHS Shooting Club gives students valuable opportunities

“The Crimes of Grindelwald”: Hit or miss?

Thriller Throwback; An underrated Mr. Jones