Shelter Kids charity overview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shelter Kids charity overview

Sean Christner, Assistant Editor

Silver Rush preparations started early this year with potential charities having to apply before the school year started. Charities had to be reviewed by the SBO’s, the administration, and the teachers. This year, after the few months of decision making, the school decided to support the Shelter Kids organization through Silver Rush.

According to the official Shelter Kids website, “Shelter Kids, Inc is a private nonprofit organization consisting of local professionals and committed volunteers who are interested in youth issues and provide funds and in kind donations for abused, neglected, and at risk children and teens that receive services through the Salt Lake County Division of Youth Services.” The organization hopes to help kids and teens between the ages 12-18.

Some of these programs include: emergency residential placement for the kids, Milestone transitional living (which is providing homes to males and females 18-21 years old), crisis counseling, and various after school programs. Most of these programs do not have set locations and happen all throughout the valley, but the crisis counseling happens here in Riverton City.

Shelter Kids works in conjunction with the Salt Lake County Youth Services; however, they do not have a physical location where they can keep and hold large amounts of items for these kids. Because of this, the cash donations that Riverton will give will go a lot further than any physical donations.

The reception of the charity has been very encouraging with the PLT experience activity coming in the form of the weekly challenges. These challenges let us see things from the point of view of those kids who are having to go through these difficult situations. Some teachers have been getting really passionate as seen with Mr. Davis excitedly saying, “We are doing something that shows the true essence of Silver Rush.”

Sean Christner, Assistant Editor

Sean A. Christner is currently a Junior at Riverton high and is studying the various forms of Carpentry and Marquetry. Sean lives north of the high school...

• Shelter Kids charity overview

RHS Dance Company to perform

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Arena Scheduling to take place

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Prom 2019

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Tremonton man charged with murder

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Bernie Sanders announces his candidacy for president in 2020

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

A visit from Temple Grandin

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Investigation: caught left handed

• Shelter Kids charity overview

Russia State News reveals US targets they would strike in case of conflict

• Shelter Kids charity overview

Do the Bluffdale earthquakes mean something big is to come?

• Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Utah’s exciting February

Shelter Kids charity overview