Utah counseling firm to move closer to homeless shelter

Nicole Clifford, Section Editor

Utah’s consulting firm Cicero Group moved from east downtown to be closer to the homeless shelter. Just helping out during the holidays is not enough for the Cicero Group.

In 2009, Randy Shumway went to a company breakfast that changed his whole point of view on the homeless.

The guest speaker at the breakfast was Saint Pamela, Salt Lake City’s patron saint of the homeless and downtrodden.

Saint Pamela, in her speech given at the breakfast, stated, “You know what, I look around this room and I see business leaders and government leaders and I need you each to know you can do more to help our homeless population. And if you’re saying to yourself, ‘Well, every Christmas I get a truck full of blankets and coats and drop them off at the Road Home.’ I want you to know you’re not doing enough.”

Right after the breakfast, Randy started calling places to see where and what he could do to help out more.

The Road Home on Rio Grande street said they would really appreciate if they would pitch in to help give Sunday breakfast and dinner several times over the year.

For the past nine years the Shumway family and friends have done breakfast every Sunday. The experience kick-started a new kind of involvement with the downtrodden. Shumway stated, “Just interacting with brothers and sisters who experienced the vicissitudes of life that I hadn’t, it was life-changing.”

Wasn’t long before his Cicero Group partner, CEO Trent Kaufman, was doing breakfasts at the Road Home along with other Cicero employees.

The next step was for the Cicero Group to lend its real expertise: management consulting. Members of the firm began volunteering their services to the Road Home. They collected and crunched data and did root-cause analysis to determine better ways to manage the operation.

What the management consultant experts did day in and day out for corporations all over the world, they did for their neighbors down the street for free.

Riverton student Ysabell said, “This is something our whole community can be proud of.”

Noah Goodlett, senior at Riverton, said, “With our donation going to the Shelter kids and seeing that this company has been helping the homeless shelter just makes me want to help and donate more. Just awesome to see people helping out our community.”