Educating people on climate change could save the planet

Abbey Walker, Staff Writer

Picture this: it’s a Saturday morning. You wake up to the sun glistening off the mountains of snow outside your window and rush downstairs to dress in puffy water resistant clothes for a day full of snowy cold activities. Snow days were arguably the best days of childhood. Today’s kids can’t relate to the feeling. Why? Simply because there’s no snow.

How did Salt Lake City go from being icy cold in mid November, to mere slightly clouded skies as we enter December? It wasn’t magic. The answer is climate change.

Global warming is slowly warming up the earth, so as the years go by the climate is getting hotter and hotter.

Many scientists believe and have done studies to prove that this is fueling the California wildfires. Climate change is deadly to all species in due time, including humans. As the environment gets warmer and warmer, our planet becomes more susceptible to not only fires, but droughts, heat stroke, skin cancer, and dehydration.  

A chart produced by Nasa shows that in the past few years, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have nearly doubled since the 1950’s. Carbon dioxide gas is released from burning fossil fuels, and when it’s in the air it not only breaks down the atmosphere, but also traps warm air inside. This is clear scientific evidence of global warming.

Many students here at Riverton High School have a general idea of global warming, but don’t really know what causes it or the effects that directly impact our local community. Brockton, a junior, said that he believes in global warming because “Polar ice caps are melting, and it’s getting hotter in the summer and less cold in the winter.”

Missy, a senior, said that “Species are going to go extinct.” and that “A lot of people don’t believe in it, but there’s a bunch of science to support it.” She also believes that we can help slow down the process by “finding more renewable resources, using more biodegradable things, and finding more efficient ways to do things.”

It is essential to take climate change seriously. If we continue to do nothing about the matter, our entire civilization will go down in flames (literally).

You can take action at home by trying to produce less waste, meaning use less garbage, use less energy by doing things like keeping unnecessary lights turned off, and switching out some everyday products for biodegradable versions.

Climate change should not and can not be ignored any longer. Our planet depends on it.

• Educating people on climate change could save the planet

Spring Break is right around the corner

Opinion & Advice

CNN 10

Opinion & Advice

Dating Apps are affecting the way we communicate

Opinion & Advice

FOMO: The fear of missing out

Opinion & Advice

School dance time change

Finding “Hygge” in High School

Opinion & Advice

Attendance school is a joke

Opinion & Advice

2020 democratic candidate predictions

Opinion & Advice

Kids will never know the struggle of satellite tv

Opinion & Advice

Lagoon zoo animals in horrible conditions