RHS Shooting Club gives students valuable opportunities

Delaney Shell, Staff Writer

Shooting trap is one of the quickest growing sports all across the nation. However, it’s not commonly talked about. Riverton High School saw opportunities for their students in this sport.

The club was created six years ago, as one of the first shooting clubs in the Utah valley. Students who are members of the team can letter in the sport, but it is not funded by the school districts.

The club is funded by MidwayUSA through an endowment account. Last year they gave $8,320, with the members also make fundraising efforts themselves.

“Shooting teams provide wonderful opportunities for students to make friends, to develop confidence, and learn discipline and leadership skills, just like other sports.” said Larry Potterfield, MidwayUSA Foundation Founder.

The MidwayUSA Foundation gave away just over three and a half million dollars to 1,211 recipients nationwide.

The funds that are given to the club are to help pay for expenses like ammo, targets, uniforms, and entry fees. They also allow students to compete in surrounding states.

Members compete throughout the school year, but they practice all year long in the “frigid”  temperatures of the winter and in the “blistering” temperatures of the summer.