California fires affecting air quality

Back to Article
Back to Article

California fires affecting air quality

The Rim Fire in the Stanislaus National Forest near in California began on Aug. 17, 2013 and is under investigation. The fire has consumed approximately 149, 780 acres and is 15% contained. U.S. Forest Service photo.

USDA

USDA

USDA

Connor Zindel, Staff Writer

The recent California fires have been dramatically affecting the air quality in Utah especially for students at Riverton High School.  The biggest fires in California history have also put forth the most smoke in California’s history. This smoke is making it extremely hard to breathe in the Salt Lake Valley.

7,100 structures, primarily homes, have been burned down so far.  These recent ongoing fires have been the largest fires California has ever had to go through.  According to New York Times, “The inferno that incinerated the northern town of Paradise has razed a staggering 6,453 homes. As of Sunday night, more than 200 people were unaccounted for in Paradise, and officials are bracing for the possibility that the death toll could continue to rise significantly.”

These fires have been devastating and currently occupy most of the close firefighters.  Utah firefighters from Draper, Lehi, and Bluffdale are driving out to go help with this terrible tragedy.  According to KSL, “More than 100 Utah fire personnel will join more than 8,000 California firefighters currently covering 1,035 fire engines, 141 dozers, 166 hand crews, 80 water tenders, 42 helicopters and numerous firefighting air tankers from throughout California, according to Cal Fire.

During an interview with Parker Hansen, a senior at Riverton High School, he stated, “It is awful especially in the morning.  It is extremely hard to breathe and to catch my breath after jogging or even walking faster than normal. And it’s not just the crappy air quality; it’s the smoke in the air that doesn’t let me see the mountains or the blue sky.”

Connor Zindel, Staff Writer

Connor Zindel has worked at a variety of places.  He started out working construction, then moved on to the following; Jr. Jazz basketball ref, janitor...

• California fires affecting air quality

News

Utah counseling firm to move closer to homeless shelter

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

News

RHS vending machines having issues

Celebrity endorsements in elections

News

Utes take down the Oregon Ducks

Stan Lee passes away

News

Community pays tribute to Lauren McCluskey

News

Riverton counselors hosting senior launch meetings in preparation for graduation

News

20th Anniversary of Riverton High this school year

California fires affecting air quality