Riverton counselors hosting senior launch meetings in preparation for graduation

Abbey Walker, Staff Writer

Counselors at Riverton High School are hosting senior launch meetings for all seniors and their parents to discuss important information they will need to know for graduation and college applications.

The presentation includes in depth information on college application week and scholarship opportunities with deadlines coming soon. College application week, or UCAW, will take place November 5th-16th, and counselors want to ensure that students are ready to take that next step.

They also discuss several important and upcoming dates to keep in mind as graduation grows closer and closer. FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is now open. Counselors encourage seniors to apply in order to receive money from scholarships, and FAFSA night at riverton will be held November 6th from 5-8 pm for help filling out the application.

Other important dates include priority applications due for U of U honors college on November 1st, Regents scholarship applications due November 15th, and Registrar transcript requests are due November 16th.

At the end of the meeting students have an opportunity to meet with their counselor privately to discuss their own personal future. Counselors help make sure seniors are on the right track for graduation.

While it seems early to start talking about graduation which doesn’t happen until May, all of the counselors insist that thinking about graduation now will be helpful in the long run. Mrs. Bartholomew says, “We even changed our meeting format from last year.” In previous years, they held a 30 minute assembly explaining details about UCAW and important dates for graduation. “Then we found out that you stinky seniors don’t go to assemblies,” she continued.

Ms Bartholomew recommends going into the meeting with a good attitude and knowing that our counselors are here to help with any questions or concerns we may have.

Senior Keora Anderson says she is “excited to get more information,” but wishes she didn’t have to miss so much class time. Other students reported that the meeting was “helpful” and “informative” but definitely took a long time.

• Riverton counselors hosting senior launch meetings in preparation for graduation

News

Army Black Knights third victory fuels winning streak

News

Search for 5 US Marines called off, declared dead

News

Shelter Kids charity overview

News

Utah counseling firm to move closer to homeless shelter

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

News

RHS vending machines having issues

News

California fires affecting air quality

Celebrity endorsements in elections

News

Utes take down the Oregon Ducks