Riverton High students discuss the high rise of suicide

Amanda Bailey, Staff Writer

Monday morning, Current Issues class discussed the high rise of suicide along with the school’s counselors, speaking of ways to seek help for ourselves and those who are at front with this new leading cause of death in teens.

The school counselors stressed the idea that it is up to the students of Riverton High to make the change. The influence that students have on each other can have more effect than the adults.

As questions were asked, these two in particular kept in play. The class asked,  “What are the reasons of suicide?” and “How do we approach them if so?” became a common thought amongst the class.

Every situation being different, a big one being social media and finding oneself alone within the school walls. This left the class quiet. Many thought over their actions with online activity and the way they treat one another in school hallways.

One of the students of the class, Dakota Jensen, junior, felt a great impact of the panel that was held.

“Feelings hit hard honestly,” Dakota then continues on with an event that took place before school began, “One of my friends had commited suicide over the summer.”

Suicide, being a growing issue among teens in Utah, is raising high awareness of the epidemic. The Current Issues class had voted this as most wanted to discuss.

Mr. Davis, the teacher of the elective class, was hesitant with this specific issue, it being a taboo topic within our society. However, it was the class who had decided to bring to surface the rise of suicide in our state and community.

He then went on to say, “start with an elective,” for mental health. Rather than a required class, “will find it to be in high demand.”

Each counselor gave their two cents of how students of Riverton can help prevent this problem. With big acts of approaching in whom there are concerns with. And to the little things like, “just asking how someone’s day is could save someone’s life.”

Watching for signs of potential suicide risks or attempts include sudden mood swings, grades dropping, and isolating oneself.

Approaching this concern, it is better to be direct and to seek help immediately.