The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Denelle Durling, Editor in Chief

The end of the school year is approaching, and for a third of the students here at Riverton High School, it is the end of their entire high school experience.

For these seniors, senioritis is really starting to take effect, especially this close to the end. Some juniors, and even a few sophomores are claiming to have symptoms as well. The end of year is truly a struggle for everyone.

One of the biggest struggles of the 4th quarter of the school year is the lack of motivation. Students have been working all school year to keep good grades and balance school work with other activities, and almost everyone is just done.

People are going home and laying around on their phones and eating snacks all night because they just don’t want to do anything. In the back of their heads, however, is the knowledge that they need to push through and get things done.

That just makes them more stressed as they continue to do nothing.

It’s a struggle almost anyone you ask can relate to. The temptations to drop out have never been higher. Many discuss half serious plans on what they will do after dropping out.

In fact, when asked how much motivation she had to finish the school year and not drop out, Sydney Brown (11), replied, “Not much. I’m dying. I just feel so stressed from everything, and I am already so burned out from past quarters, but I can’t just drop out.”

The worst thing to be paired with the lack of motivation is end-of-year tests, and yet there is a lot of them, making 4th quarter even worse.

Many students are preparing for AP tests in May, making stress levels go up the wall. The AP tests determine whether you get college credit for the AP class you took, and for many, this is extremely important. A passing score of 3 is all some want, while others are aiming for higher scores like 4 or 5.

Concurrent enrollment classes have their finals approaching, and although these tests determine whether or not the student receives college credit for the class as well, they also determine if they pass the class at all. This arguably makes them even more stressful than AP tests.

A less stressful and more annoying end-of-year test is the SAGE test. Luckily, this was the last year that it will exist. Juniors didn’t have to take it because of the ACT.

Added to all this is the homework levels. The teachers seem to feel it will do students best to stress them out as much as possible before the tests, and so the homework levels are higher than ever. The end of year tests means more and more work, and the lack of motivation makes more and more missing work.

The worst part of the end of the year is “all the final projects” said Maeghan Wigman (12).

The feeling of summer approaching doesn’t help. The weather is improving (for the most part), and people are starting to get sunburnt.

It is extremely hard to concentrate on studying when the sun is shining and friends are begging you to hang out. And so people are neglecting their work, and living their lives, at the expense of good test scores and grades.

The struggles of 4th quarter will probably never change. It is the nature of school that the end will be the hardest.  

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Morp: Blast to the Past

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

History of the Pulitzer Prize

• The Struggles of 4th Quarter

A Message from Alyssa Muller

The Struggles of 4th Quarter