Overview of Ballot Initiatives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Overview of Ballot Initiatives

Utah State Capitol

Utah State Capitol

Utah State Capitol

Utah State Capitol

Brett Bolander, Features/News Section Editor

A number of ballot initiatives are currently collecting signatures to appear on the ballot in November, including a measure that would legalize the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, a measure that would institute an independent redistricting commission, as well as a measure that would require that political party nominees win a direct primary in order to appear on the ballot with party affiliation.

According to the Lieutenant Governor’s website, “A statewide initiative is a publicly sponsored piece of legislation that can be submitted to a vote of the people at a general election or to a vote in the legislature.”

In order to get on the ballot, initiatives need to go through a number of steps.  

First, a copy of the proposed legislation must be approved by the Lieutenant Governor to prevent nonsensical or ineffective measures from going any further.

Then, signatures must be gathered in support of the initiative.  The number of signatures required is equivalent to 10% of all votes cast in Utah for U.S. presidential candidates in the last election, which is 113,143 people for the 2016 election.

The initiative with the most support is the medical marijuana initiative, which Fox 13 says has 151,181 signatures.  A Dan Jones poll from early 2018 also found that 76 percent of Utah voters support the legalization of medical marijuana.

Shaylee Lawrence expressed her support for the initiative, “[Medical marijuana] literally works in so many cases.”  

Her friend, Sammi Redd, also supports the initiative and see concerns about medical legalization leading to recreational legalization as silly, saying it won’t happen “if they control it well enough.”

Other initiatives lag behind the medical marijuana initiative, but still have considerable support.

The Better Boundaries initiative advocates for creating an independent redistricting commission to curb the effects of gerrymandering.  According to the same Fox 13 article, the initiative currently has 72,864 signatures.

The Count My Vote initiative comes in third on signature count, with 66,287 signatures submitted.  The initiative would require political party nominees to go through a primary election in order to appear on the ballot with party affiliation.

Currently, candidates can get on the ballot by simply winning 60% of the vote at county or state convention.

Brett Bolander, News and Features Editor

Brett Bolander is a senior at Riverton High School.  He enjoys playing guitar, listening to music, and reading.  He plans on attending the University...

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

Army Black Knights third victory fuels winning streak

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

Search for 5 US Marines called off, declared dead

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

Shelter Kids charity overview

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

Utah counseling firm to move closer to homeless shelter

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

RHS vending machines having issues

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

California fires affecting air quality

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

Celebrity endorsements in elections

• Overview of Ballot Initiatives

News

Utes take down the Oregon Ducks

Overview of Ballot Initiatives