Real Talk With Toya: Mutual Mormon Dating App

Marimee Jules, Staff Writer

Real talk with Toya is a column understanding the challenges, rights of passage in the life of our millenials at Riverton High School.

There are a couple of our Seniors who are now joining the adult dating world on apps like Tinder and even Match.com.  One that is creeping its way in student’s phones is called Mutual. Mutual is a dating app for young single adults to mingle and even potentially find a spouse.

An important to know before you sign up is that  Mutual is a dating app for LDS people. There are many different types of potential suitors on a spectrum between active members and inactive members.

In order to sign up you have to be at least 18 years old. The app will connect to your Facebook to verify your name and age. From there you have to give a description of your life like your age, school you attend, location and preference in age range. You can chose to find matches who are as little as five to over 200 miles away. Allowing you to contact members from all over the world.

Next, you swipe up if you  think their cute or interesting enough and swipe down if you’re not  interested. The only way you will be able to start contacting someone is if the feeling is “Mutual” meaning that he or she swiped up on you too.

To put this app to test,  we gave RHS Senior Haley Bolton an invitation to try it out and let us know her thoughts on  her experience.

After the trial, she said boldy, “ It wasn’t really for me, but it was kind of fun and all.”

We also asked skeptical Marima Jules, also an RHS Senior to give it a try. She also stated , “ I think it’s more fun just getting to know more people outside your area.”

I decided to try it out along with these ladies to show my support. I didn’t expect to actually find anyone or match with anyone. Like Marima Jules I was skeptical, and weary of dating sites because of the potential dangers that may lie ahead.

To my surprise I actually got 12 matches within the past week and a half! It worked as a great opportunity for me to expand my horizons. I definitely recommend the app, and to those who are skeptical, just give it a try! Be open to new people and new things!  Despite common stereotype, don’t go into it just thinking that it’s only for people who want to get married right away.

• Real Talk With Toya: Mutual Mormon Dating App

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

How To Prevent/Overcome Senioritis As The School Year Comes To A Close

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

The obsession teens have with social media, and the problem surrounding it.

Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

A Step Towards a Life of Work

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

Fun Facts with Matthew: The Lost Battalion