Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

Marimee Jules, Staff Writer

There are about 23 potential civil rights violations concerning race, disabilities and sex in several school districts in Utah that receive federal funding.

These investigation are going on in 9 schools in Salt Lake City school districts, 6 in Provo, 2 each in Davis San Juan and Granite, and finally 1 each in Jordan and Park City . This information was released by the U.S  Department of Education through a searchable database.

This information is through the The Office for Civil Rights or OCR. When a complaint is filed then an investigation is opened up to resolve the issues. This can be a lengthy process that can take months to complete.

Riverton High School students that are of diverse background and disabilities experienced bullying, discrimination to all kinds.

Sixto Armando Goicuria is an Afro-latino student who has experience racial discrimination. He has described his experience as, “It’s been kind of hard because I’m always shy of what people thought of me because of my african latino background and if I get any crap about it.”

Denelle Durling, Junior, said, “I haven’t personally heard anything about anything because the school is not bringing much awareness to anything concerning that subject.”

Alexis Harper, Sophomore, said in agreeance, “I feel like our school might handle those things well, but they should definitely do more things to make the students less ignorant about the things that are actually going on in this school!”

Those who had also been discriminated against and/or sexual assualted will remain nameless for safety reasons, but claimed that the school has dealt with these issues effectively and appropriately.

• Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

WL Derby: Everything epicly American in one place

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

Post Malone Concert in SLC

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

This is what is coming up for Seniors

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

Morp: Blast to the Past