Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

Marimee Jules, Staff Writer

There are about 23 potential civil rights violations concerning race, disabilities and sex in several school districts in Utah that receive federal funding.

These investigation are going on in 9 schools in Salt Lake City school districts, 6 in Provo, 2 each in Davis San Juan and Granite, and finally 1 each in Jordan and Park City . This information was released by the U.S  Department of Education through a searchable database.

This information is through the The Office for Civil Rights or OCR. When a complaint is filed then an investigation is opened up to resolve the issues. This can be a lengthy process that can take months to complete.

Riverton High School students that are of diverse background and disabilities experienced bullying, discrimination to all kinds.

Sixto Armando Goicuria is an Afro-latino student who has experience racial discrimination. He has described his experience as, “It’s been kind of hard because I’m always shy of what people thought of me because of my african latino background and if I get any crap about it.”

Denelle Durling, Junior, said, “I haven’t personally heard anything about anything because the school is not bringing much awareness to anything concerning that subject.”

Alexis Harper, Sophomore, said in agreeance, “I feel like our school might handle those things well, but they should definitely do more things to make the students less ignorant about the things that are actually going on in this school!”

Those who had also been discriminated against and/or sexual assualted will remain nameless for safety reasons, but claimed that the school has dealt with these issues effectively and appropriately.

• Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

Book review: Shattered Snow

Carol grams for Silver Rush

Phil Tuckett: from NFL to college instructor

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

Elon Musk thinks we should work more

Flu season: Prevention and treatment

Celebrity endorsements in elections

Need to know info about roller derby

Why seniors should register to vote