Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

Marimee Jules, Staff Writer

There are about 23 potential civil rights violations concerning race, disabilities and sex in several school districts in Utah that receive federal funding.

These investigation are going on in 9 schools in Salt Lake City school districts, 6 in Provo, 2 each in Davis San Juan and Granite, and finally 1 each in Jordan and Park City . This information was released by the U.S  Department of Education through a searchable database.

This information is through the The Office for Civil Rights or OCR. When a complaint is filed then an investigation is opened up to resolve the issues. This can be a lengthy process that can take months to complete.

Riverton High School students that are of diverse background and disabilities experienced bullying, discrimination to all kinds.

Sixto Armando Goicuria is an Afro-latino student who has experience racial discrimination. He has described his experience as, “It’s been kind of hard because I’m always shy of what people thought of me because of my african latino background and if I get any crap about it.”

Denelle Durling, Junior, said, “I haven’t personally heard anything about anything because the school is not bringing much awareness to anything concerning that subject.”

Alexis Harper, Sophomore, said in agreeance, “I feel like our school might handle those things well, but they should definitely do more things to make the students less ignorant about the things that are actually going on in this school!”

Those who had also been discriminated against and/or sexual assualted will remain nameless for safety reasons, but claimed that the school has dealt with these issues effectively and appropriately.

• Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

How To Prevent/Overcome Senioritis As The School Year Comes To A Close

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

Real Talk With Toya: Mutual Mormon Dating App

The obsession teens have with social media, and the problem surrounding it.

A Step Towards a Life of Work

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

Fun Facts with Matthew: The Lost Battalion