A Step Towards a Life of Work

Mariano Lopez, Staff Writer

“I’ll usually just drive around Riverton listening to music. After that I’ll head home at around 3 in the morning, brush my teeth, shower, and head to bed”. This is the daily routine of a Riverton High senior who wished to remain anonymous. It’s become almost too normal for this person that they claimed it feels almost “odd” whenever they don’t do it. Stress is apart of life, we’re all going to be “stressed out” at one point or another. Especially when you’re trying to manage a job and school work, not to mention the anxiety of knowing that it’s your last year of school (for seniors) and after that you’re on your own. You’re now an adult.

“How has working full time after graduating from High School changed you as a person?” I asked.

“I feel that I’ve become more judgemental almost, when I hear people complain about the fact that their mommy and daddy didn’t buy them the new iPhone, I get frustrated that they expect to get something without putting in any work.

“Like no bro, you’re going to have to work for it just like almost everything else when you’re an adult”. replied Samuel Munyakazi, an employee at Wendy’s.

“How has maintaining a job and going to school at the same time affected you as a person?” I asked another employee of Wendy’s.

“Sometimes it gets stressful you know, especially when you work 40 hours a week. Almost makes you wanna hit a wall,” Replied Christian Thompson, a senior attending Riverton High School.

“Do you feel that your level of stress has gone up since you started working this job and trying to maintain good grades?” asked Mariano.

“Definitely, this job sucks. Fast food just picks you up and destroys you, then there’s school work that you get behind on because of the poor scheduling done by the managers,” replied Christian.

It’s a tough cycle that just adds up and eventually it’ll catch up to everyone. It always does. So perhaps students should ask for shorter hours for the week from their employers. Child labor laws exist but let’s be honest, not all companies stay faithful to them, so why not take matters into your own hands? To put it in the words of a co-worker of mine, “Don’t let your job of flipping burgers get in the way of getting an education. It’s better to pursue an education that’ll allow you to earn a hell of a lot more than minimum wage for the rest of your life. Trust me on that, knowledge is power and that’ll get you far in life.”

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

Morp: Blast to the Past

• A Step Towards a Life of Work

History of the Pulitzer Prize

A Step Towards a Life of Work