Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

Sadie McMorris, Sports/Clubs Section Editor

Parents in Salt Lake are outraged after they heard about Salt Lake City School districts plan to cut a dual-language Immersion kindergarten class from Emerson Elementary School.

These days the world is becoming more and more diverse especially in language. Many schools around the country have Dual- Language programs. Utah alone has programs for seven different languages including English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Chinese, German, and Russian. Most of these classes are half English- half one of the other languages. These programs are offered to students in grades K-12.

Senior Emily Wilkinson gave her opinion on Dual- Language programs saying, “Dual Language programs are not just to teach kids another language. These programs help to develop their brains more quickly as well as teaching them learning techniques that are beneficial because they can learn information more easily. I think that getting rid of these programs wouldn’t necessarily make a profound difference at first and kids probably wouldn’t be that upset because they are kids, but it will be something noticeable in the future.”

The Salt Lake City School District recently suffered budget cuts, being the main reason for cutting the class. The class that is being cut is a half English, half Spanish class. The consider cutting the class as the best solution to the problem. The district has three elementary schools participating in the Dual- Language program including Emerson, the other two schools are Hawthorne and Whitter. Although Emerson is the only school of the three to have an advanced program taught in half English, half Spanish.

The School district was able to have a school board meeting on Tuesday March 6th, to talk about the cut with the board, and parents. The parents asked that the Board stop, and think about cutting the program as they believe the district is making the decision to hastily. The district believes it is their only solution. The district say that Emerson has the lowest amount of kids enrolled in that class averaging around 15 kids per class, while most programs average almost 30 students.

Emily also said, “Take what you want from this: my moms best friend had all of her children do the Chinese immersion program and they’ve grown up to be some of the smartest people!”

The district hasn’t made an exact decision yet on what they are going to do, but they said they would consider delaying the decision to think about it more.

• Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

Post Malone Concert in SLC

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

This is what is coming up for Seniors

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

Morp: Blast to the Past

History of the Pulitzer Prize