Spending Worth a Decade

Matthew Drachman, Staff Writer

Congress went into a five hour government shutdown because congress could not agree on a spending bill.  Five hours later they were finally able to come to an agreeance on what that spending bill should be. The Congress passed it and President Trump signed it early that morning.  The bill made some serious changes to the current budget and a lot of people are both happy and angry about how it turned out. So let’s get started.

The spending bill increases the U.S. Federal Deficit and most of that new spending is going to the military. It increases the military’s budget by about 200 billion dollars. The bill also puts some money to border security and the DACA programs. The bill also cut some areas of spending such as some immigration programs such as the lottery visa.

What most Republicans think of the bill is that the bill increases the U.S. Federal Deficit to an extent that it might hurt us over the long run. The current U.S. National debt is around 20.6 trillion dollars. That is a lot of money and it is still going to be going while we are running a deficit of this magnitude. We have to think about that.  Senator Rand Paul was one of the major Republicans who opposed to the bill.

Many people in Congress were concerned about this bill however it was rushed by both sides so we could prevent a long shut down. However among many supporters, this bill was very nice.

I asked some students here at Riverton High about what they thought of the bill.  Dylan Sanchez told me that the spending increases were unnecessary saying, “Don’t think it’s fully necessary with the debt at what it is.”  Kaylee Creasey told me that, “From what I know I don’t have anything to say against it. I don’t have anything against it.”

No matter what, the bill will affect us until the next deadline is for congress to decide how the country is going to spend its money, and that might be a long time for the people who don’t like how this bill went.

• Spending Worth a Decade

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• Spending Worth a Decade

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• Spending Worth a Decade

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• Spending Worth a Decade

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• Spending Worth a Decade

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• Spending Worth a Decade

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• Spending Worth a Decade

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

• Spending Worth a Decade

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• Spending Worth a Decade

Morp: Blast to the Past

• Spending Worth a Decade

History of the Pulitzer Prize

Spending Worth a Decade