Riverton High Lockdown Drill

Dallin Haws, Staff Writer

A lockdown drill occurred at Riverton High School on March 15th to practice safety in light of recent events.

Usually a lockdown drill, or any kind of drill, do not happen on a regular basis. Ever since elementary school we have all been in fire, earthquake, and lockdown drills. It allows students to learn how to protect ourselves in any kind of harmful situation.

Most students already know what to do during a drill, but it is still a good reminder. Drills are practiced usually at the beginning of the year. It is a one and done thing.

“It’s good to know what to do, but it’s executed poorly. It needs to be a lot louder for the student to hear. The teachers should not be informed to serve a more realistic drill in my opinion.” said Larsen Williams.

There’s moments that do arise where it actually might be real. Last school year, Riverton had multiple real fire drills. It is a whole different story when a drill is actually happening. Drills are not something that should be taken lightly because one day it might be real.

“Having a drill isn’t very substantial if we don’t hear the intercom. We need to be able to identify when its the time for a real drill, or even if its a practice.” said Madison Ellsworth.

The drill occurred on Thursday, March 15th.Through the intercom, you could vaguely hear them announce the drill was happening.

Everyone was told to find the nearest classroom during the passing hour between 1st and 2nd period. Everyone wasn’t very concerned about it because the school already let students know about the drill.

Teachers are instructed to turn off the lights, and put the students somewhere away from being visible from the door. Students were told to keep quiet until the event was over.

The intercom sounded that the drill was over, and students could carry on their way.

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

How To Prevent/Overcome Senioritis As The School Year Comes To A Close

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

Real Talk With Toya: Mutual Mormon Dating App

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

The obsession teens have with social media, and the problem surrounding it.

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

A Step Towards a Life of Work

• Riverton High Lockdown Drill

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

Riverton High Lockdown Drill