March Madness

Sadie McMorris, Sports and Clubs Editor

The first week of March Madness leaves fans stunned, and brackets destroyed.

March Madness is in full swing, and as teams from the Sweet Sixteen look to head to the Elite Eight people wonder how this March Madness will end.

This March Madness has been a complete shock for everyone. Brackets have been destroyed, and many have no hope of winning anything, with both the teams they picked to be in the championship out due to several upsets this year.

Before the tournament started senior on the basketball team Ben Neilson said, “I have Michigan State beating Virgina in the Championship, but it’s really a toss up. They’re both way good.” Now both teams are out leaving Ben’s bracket destroyed.

The most mentionable upset is number 16 seed UMBC (University of Baltimore- Maryland County) beating number 1 seed Virginia who was favored to win the whole tournament. This is the first time a number 16 seed team has beaten a number 1 seed team. At halftime the game was tied 21-21. In the second half UMBC scored 53 points, while Virginia only scored 33 points, the final score 74-54 for UMBC. UMBC shot 24 3-pointers and made 12. While Virginia shot 22 3-pointers and only made 4. This has been, and will most likely be the biggest upset of the tournament.

In the first round of the tournament there was a total of 9 upsets, including number 13 seed Buffalo beating number 4 seed Arizona as well as the UMBC v.s. Virginia upset. Upsets didn’t stop in the first round, in the second round there was a total of 6 more upsets, including number 11 seed Syracuse beating number 3 seed Michigan State.

After all the upsets no perfect brackets remain past the first round. Going into the UMBC v.s. Virginia game there was only 28 perfect brackets left and they all picked Virginia to win. Leaving no perfect Brackets left.

Here at Riverton our head basketball Coach Wilson was reported saying, “March Madness is all fun, and games until they actually start playing, and your bracket gets destroyed.”

As for the rest of the tournament it is really anyone’s game and it will be exciting to see who comes out on top.

• March Madness

News

The Kaepernick Effect; what Riverton High students think of campaign

• March Madness

RHS musical rehearsals commence

• March Madness

WL Derby: Everything epicly American in one place

• March Madness

Avengers: Infinity War

• March Madness

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• March Madness

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• March Madness

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• March Madness

Sports & Clubs

Kylie Fitts: Utah’s Very Own

• March Madness

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• March Madness

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

March Madness