The Effectiveness of Smiling

Katelynn Case, Staff Writer

When I wake up in the morning it’s rough. I want to go back to bed, and anytime a person tries to talk to me I just want to scream at them because I am not happy being awake.

As soon as I put a smile on my face my day completely changes. By simply smiling it changes you, and the way you look at the world. Scientists have researched that one smile changes everything.

Smiling activates the release of neuropeptides. Neuropeptides are a molecule in your brain that sends messages throughout your whole body when you are happy, sad, mad, or any type of emotion.  When you smile it makes your brain feel good, so the neuropeptides sends a message throughout your body, and your brain starts working to fight off stress. With how stressful high school can be we can use as least amount of stress as possible, so smile more!!

Smiling relaxes your body. When your body relaxes it can lower all kinds of things in your body, like lower your heart rate and your blood pressure.

Maleah Roberts said, “When I smile I can feel my body releasing all the angry feelings im having, and I know it is benefitting my health because I am happier when I smile.”

Another great thing about smiling is that it is contagious. When someone smiles at you, you smile back because it’s the natural thing to do, and when you smile it is healthy. So that means when you make eye contact with someone smile because it will benefit both of you in positive ways.

“Everytime I walk down the hall, or when I am in a public place I always smile at people because it benefits the way I am feeling, and it also benefits the way they are feeling… as simple as that sounds it’s the truth.” Taya Brady said.

Smiling is not a hard thing to do at all. It takes more muscles for you to frown than it does for you to smile. Next time you are feeling angry, or sad just smile because it will release a little bit of happiness, and your mood will start to get better. Smiling is such a powerful thing, everybody should always smile.

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Book review: Shattered Snow

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Carol grams for Silver Rush

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Phil Tuckett: from NFL to college instructor

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Elon Musk thinks we should work more

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Flu season: Prevention and treatment

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Celebrity endorsements in elections

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Need to know info about roller derby

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Why seniors should register to vote

The Effectiveness of Smiling