The Effectiveness of Smiling

Katelynn Case, Staff Writer

When I wake up in the morning it’s rough. I want to go back to bed, and anytime a person tries to talk to me I just want to scream at them because I am not happy being awake.

As soon as I put a smile on my face my day completely changes. By simply smiling it changes you, and the way you look at the world. Scientists have researched that one smile changes everything.

Smiling activates the release of neuropeptides. Neuropeptides are a molecule in your brain that sends messages throughout your whole body when you are happy, sad, mad, or any type of emotion.  When you smile it makes your brain feel good, so the neuropeptides sends a message throughout your body, and your brain starts working to fight off stress. With how stressful high school can be we can use as least amount of stress as possible, so smile more!!

Smiling relaxes your body. When your body relaxes it can lower all kinds of things in your body, like lower your heart rate and your blood pressure.

Maleah Roberts said, “When I smile I can feel my body releasing all the angry feelings im having, and I know it is benefitting my health because I am happier when I smile.”

Another great thing about smiling is that it is contagious. When someone smiles at you, you smile back because it’s the natural thing to do, and when you smile it is healthy. So that means when you make eye contact with someone smile because it will benefit both of you in positive ways.

“Everytime I walk down the hall, or when I am in a public place I always smile at people because it benefits the way I am feeling, and it also benefits the way they are feeling… as simple as that sounds it’s the truth.” Taya Brady said.

Smiling is not a hard thing to do at all. It takes more muscles for you to frown than it does for you to smile. Next time you are feeling angry, or sad just smile because it will release a little bit of happiness, and your mood will start to get better. Smiling is such a powerful thing, everybody should always smile.

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

WL Derby: Everything epicly American in one place

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Morp: Blast to the Past

The Effectiveness of Smiling