The Effectiveness of Smiling

Katelynn Case, Staff Writer

When I wake up in the morning it’s rough. I want to go back to bed, and anytime a person tries to talk to me I just want to scream at them because I am not happy being awake.

As soon as I put a smile on my face my day completely changes. By simply smiling it changes you, and the way you look at the world. Scientists have researched that one smile changes everything.

Smiling activates the release of neuropeptides. Neuropeptides are a molecule in your brain that sends messages throughout your whole body when you are happy, sad, mad, or any type of emotion.  When you smile it makes your brain feel good, so the neuropeptides sends a message throughout your body, and your brain starts working to fight off stress. With how stressful high school can be we can use as least amount of stress as possible, so smile more!!

Smiling relaxes your body. When your body relaxes it can lower all kinds of things in your body, like lower your heart rate and your blood pressure.

Maleah Roberts said, “When I smile I can feel my body releasing all the angry feelings im having, and I know it is benefitting my health because I am happier when I smile.”

Another great thing about smiling is that it is contagious. When someone smiles at you, you smile back because it’s the natural thing to do, and when you smile it is healthy. So that means when you make eye contact with someone smile because it will benefit both of you in positive ways.

“Everytime I walk down the hall, or when I am in a public place I always smile at people because it benefits the way I am feeling, and it also benefits the way they are feeling… as simple as that sounds it’s the truth.” Taya Brady said.

Smiling is not a hard thing to do at all. It takes more muscles for you to frown than it does for you to smile. Next time you are feeling angry, or sad just smile because it will release a little bit of happiness, and your mood will start to get better. Smiling is such a powerful thing, everybody should always smile.

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

How To Prevent/Overcome Senioritis As The School Year Comes To A Close

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Real Talk With Toya: Mutual Mormon Dating App

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

The obsession teens have with social media, and the problem surrounding it.

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

A Step Towards a Life of Work

• The Effectiveness of Smiling

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

The Effectiveness of Smiling