J-Hope’s debut album ‘Hope World’ shoots to the top charts with its uplifting messages

Denelle Durling, Editor in Chief

Jung Hoseok, or J-Hope, a South Korean rapper from the kpop boy band sensation BTS, finally released his first solo mixtape entitled “Hope World”, and it went straight to the top of the charts its first couple days out.

“Hope World” was released at midnight Korean Standard Time on March 2nd, or rather, the middle of 1st period on Thursday, March 1st here at Riverton High School. The music video for one of the seven songs on the album was released first, followed by the entire album.

It saw immediate success. The “Daydream” music video reached over 12 million views in less than 24 hours, and peeked at No. 4 trending on YouTube. The album reached the No. 1 album spot on itunes just a couple hours after its release, staying there for a few days.

In less than one day of sales, both the rapper and the album made it to Billboard charts. “Hope World” went straight to No. 1 on the World Albums chart, No. 16 on Top Album Sales, and No. 63 on the Billboard 200, and is now at No. 38, the highest any solo kpop act has ever gotten.

Three of the songs were sent to the World Digital Song Sales chart during its first week, and now six of the seven are on the chart; “Daydream” is at No. 1, “Hope World” at No. 6, “Hangsang” ft. Supreme Boi at No. 11, “Base Line” at No. 8, “Airplane” at No. 5, and “P.O.P. (Piece of Peace) pt. 1” at No. 12.  

J-Hope himself is at No. 91 on the Artist 100 chart, and No. 3 on the Emerging Artists chart. His bandmates and fellow rappers, who have already released their own mixtapes, RM and Suga, both only made it to No. 46 on this chart. J-Hope is also now No. 19 on the Top Rap Albums Chart.

Listening to Hope World, there is no surprise at its extreme success. “Hope World”, “Daydream”, and “P.O.P. (Piece of Peace) pt. 1” have uplifting beats, and once you read the translations, wholesome, peaceful messages as well.

“Base Line” and “Hangsang” are heavier and have a much more Hip-Hop feel. They discuss J-Hope’s roots, and his friendship with the rest of BTS.

“Airplane” and “Blue Side (Outro)” are more nostalgic sounds. “Airplane” touches on J-Hope’s dreams as a child, and his success now, while “Blue Side (Outro)” is a short, peaceful song that ends the album with his wish to hold onto his childhood memories of peace and joy.

Some people here at Riverton High School think that this success is great. Sydney Brown (11) says that J-hope’s success shows “how popular kpop music is becoming, and how unique and open minded people are becoming” to this kind of music, as well as showing “how awesome” J-hope is.

Sydney also says that it shows how different cultures “can rise and influence other countries greatly”.

Not everybody is pleased with J-Hope’s success, however, and Sierra Arroyo (11) said “I hate it” when asked about how she felt about these numbers. Emily Hollinger (11) said “ew, no kpop”.

BTS itself has extreme success on the charts, their newest album “Love Yourself: Her” currently at 115 on Billboard 200, and they themselves No. 17 on Artist 100. They also are No. 1 on the Social 50, and have been on the chart for 74 weeks.

• J-Hope’s debut album ‘Hope World’ shoots to the top charts with its uplifting messages

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

Get to Know MDT Member Ethan Kay

The Stereotypes of Music

2000’s nostalgia

RHS Arts Department Takes Field Trip to BYU and Springville Art Museum

Planning School Dances

Red Gerard’s Rough Morning

The Utah Jazz are the hottest team in the NBA right now, and are making a push for the Playoff race.

The Olympic Opening Ceremony was focused on unity and hope for the future

What It’s Like to Be a Cheerleader at Riverton High?