Planning School Dances

Back to Article
Back to Article

Planning School Dances

Sadie McMorris, Sports/Clubs Section Editor

Every movie about high school ever has something to do with Prom or Homecoming or some sort of school dance. Girls from a very young age are told that their Senior Prom is the best night of their life, and something they shouldn’t miss out on. Now days school dances are an all day event, and here at Riverton we have around five dances each year. Three girls choice, and two boys choice.

Dances are a big deal, and can be some people’s favorite thing about high school, but can be a pain to plan. If you asked someone to the dance you have to plan a day date, pictures, dinner, and what to do after the dance. They can be expensive, and even cause fights between friends. Emily Wilkinson a senior said, “The worst part of planning dances is being able to agree on what to do because the bigger the group, the more opinions you have.” While Dylan Coats a senior on the football team said, “It’s hard to plan dances because it’s hard to get everybody to agree on the same thing.” In this case both parties agree that it is hard to get everyone to agree on what to do, and make everyone happy.

The stress of dances starts long before the actual planning. Here at Riverton it is a common trend to ask to dances the next few days after the last dance. Once one person asks everyone goes crazy, and it’s all over from there. Riley Young tweeted the day after Sweethearts when boys started asking to Prom, “Whoever started asking girls to Prom today, your moms a hoe.” showing his frustration in the asking process.

When planning dances expenses quickly add up. A day date can normally be around twenty- thirty dollars a person making it around sixty dollars a couple. You then have to pay for dinner, pictures, a dance ticket, boutonniere/ corsage, dress/ shirt and tie, an after date, and more. This can quickly add up, and most high school kids don’t have a lot of money to spend, so they end up asking their parents for money hoping they will give them some.

There is so much preparation that goes into planning dances, and it can be quite stressful, but it is well worth it for how fun they are.

Sadie McMorris, Staff Writer

Sadie McMorris grew up in West Jordan, Utah, until the age of thirteen when she moved to Herriman, Utah. At age seventeen moved to Riverton, Utah.

Sadie...

• Planning School Dances

Netflix releases trailer for new Stranger Things season

• Planning School Dances

RHS Dance Company to perform

• Planning School Dances

‘Sierra Burgess is a Loser’ on Netflix

• Planning School Dances

Riverton Drama to perform ‘Peter and the Starcatcher’

• Planning School Dances

Submit to Tabula Rasa

• Planning School Dances

‘Wicked’ tickets for $25 at the Eccles Theater

• Planning School Dances

Movie review: ‘Mary Poppins Returns’

• Planning School Dances

‘The Office’ relates to high school students

• Planning School Dances

Book review: Shattered Snow

• Planning School Dances

Patriots’ Josh “Flash” Gordon suspended by NFL for substance abuse

Planning School Dances