Fun Facts With Matthew

Matthew Drachman, Staff Writer

You can write millions upon millions of books about all of the knowledge in the world.  You can write about topics from A-Z, there is always something that people are interested in.  As you know I am a history buff; so I think I am going to talk to you today about some historical facts.

The fun fact comes from the American Civil War.  Now this is an old medical story that some have heard but I think you will like it.  This is where the phrase “Son of a Gun” comes from.

So there is an old story of a doctor who had traveled with the Army of the Potomac.  During the Battle of Antietam he was helping soldiers from both sides when he came across a wounded Confederate soldier who was wounded in his lower region.  He had been shot and the bullet had severed his right testicle and ricochet off his femur. The doctor treated the man and moved on.

His next patient was a wounded woman about 100 yards away.  She had been hit in her lower abdomen. The doctor treated her and moved on.  

A few months after the battle, the doctor came back to the woman and see how she was doing.  He had noticed that the woman had picked up a little weight. Wanting to make sure she had not been experiencing swelling he examined her further.  After further examination, the doctor started to smile and told the woman that she had not been experiencing swelling but she was pregnant,

The woman was shocked to hear this, “That can’t be!  I’m a Virgin.”

The doctor was puzzled to hear this.   The doctor tried to trace back the timeline and to see when it could have happened.  After some examination he determined that the woman was four months pregnant. Pinning a date for a conception, the doctor realised that the date landed on the day of the Battle of Antietam.  The doctor started to think, and he came to a realisation.

He walked out of the woman’s home to where the young man was shot that he had treated, the line was straight to both locations.  He came to a conclusion.

The bullet that had hit the man had gone through his right testicle, ricochet off of his leg and shot this woman with the organic matter still on the bullet, depositing it into her lower abdomen.  This was the only thing the doctor could have seen that would have caused the pregnancy. He would later find the man and bring him back to his future fiance. They would later get married and have more children, the natural way not the other way.

The son of a gun would later go on and live perfectly, not harmed by his extreme conception.

This story is very old, many believe it to be true while others believe it was tall tale.  Whether you believe it is for you to decide. So that was the story of the son of a gun. Hope I taught you something new.  Remember folks, our past helps our present form our future.

*Something to note, this story was published in a medical journal after the civil war to prove point that people would believe it.  There is no evidence that the story is true, but I’ll leave that to you to think about, however that’s where the phrase son of a gun comes from*

“No that’s Impossible!”  Riley Ashton said, “That doesn’t happen.”

Another student named Brandon Despain disagreed saying, “That sounds scientifically possible.”

There is your fun fact for the day, tune in next week for more!

Matthew Drachman, Assistant Editor

Matthew Vernon Linsey Drachman is an interesting, and oftentimes a weird individual.  Matthew is currently a junior that is studying at Riverton High...

• Fun Facts With Matthew

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

• Fun Facts With Matthew

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Elon Musk thinks we should work more

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Flu season: Prevention and treatment

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Celebrity endorsements in elections

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Need to know info about roller derby

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Why seniors should register to vote

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Homework overload: students quitting extracurriculars

• Fun Facts With Matthew

PEHP’s new option

• Fun Facts With Matthew

Tea Time with Mr. Gunther

Fun Facts With Matthew