Color Guard

Marimee Jules, Staff Writer

If you have the opportunity to meet with Color Guard you will hear their pump up song. It goes a little something like this “I’m peanut better your jelly and we’re so happy on our little bread. I remember the first day I met you sitting in the cupboard with little jelly friends.”

This winter season started out with color guard tryouts. Tryouts were for rifle, flag, savor, and dance tryouts. In order to make the team you have to practice a routine for each section that you wanted to be in, and learn it in a week to audition. The signature team dance was a contemporary and lyrical piece to Don’t worry about me by Frances.

Kari Mortensen, a junior, tried out for color guard doing dance, rifle and flag. She had to compete against her fellow guard members which she found intimidating at first. The team practices 2 hours a day for 2 days out of the week. On Saturdays, when they have competitions they have to practice before the show. Kari said that, “After every practice I would go home and just dive into my bed because I was just so tired. It really takes a lot out of you.”

This season Kari has fractured bones in her toe and got Hematoma in her toenail. When practices began she would get bruises on her legs, arms and chest. After conditioning she would be sore for days. Jayden Moser, one of the captains this year, stated that, “When you first join its a lot of muscle memory and work, but after a while it gets easier.”

They have lots of opportunity to build community and friendship with her fellow guard members. After every show they sit down and get personal about what the show means to them and how they were able to capture the power behind the music in their dancing. When practicing the routine from “Dont Forget About Me,” many of the members shed tears about personal experiences that helped them individual feel the message behind the song.  

Kari Mortensen said, “It was hard for me because I really wanted to cry during the performance. It was very moving.” Make sure to come and cheer for our captains and members.

• Color Guard

Netflix releases trailer for new Stranger Things season

• Color Guard

RHS Dance Company to perform

• Color Guard

Opinion & Advice

Attendance school is a joke

• Color Guard

Sports & Clubs

Unique Sports at Riverton

• Color Guard

News

Arena Scheduling to take place

• Color Guard

News

Prom 2019

• Color Guard

Sports & Clubs

What is happening this offseason in the NFL

• Color Guard

Opinion & Advice

2020 democratic candidate predictions

• Color Guard

News

Tremonton man charged with murder

• Color Guard

Opinion & Advice

Kids will never know the struggle of satellite tv

Color Guard