Ash Wednesday

Sean Christner, Staff Writer

Ash Wednesday is in the background of the calendar. A lot of people in Utah do not know what it is or why it is celebrated. For example Carolyn Hansen remarked, “No I do not know what that is about,” and there is even more confusion this year with Valentine’s day which happens to fall on the same day.

Ash Wednesday is a Western Christian church celebration. On the religious calendar it marks the start of the 40 days of the month of Lent. If you look at the calendar Ash Wednesday is clearly identified mainly because of the situation that Lent is a very important month for the Christian faith. Lent as the Catholic Priest Javier Virgen points out, “It is the time when Jesus went into the desert to pray for forty days, and it also is the time when we must remember the sacrifice he made to save us from our sins. We fast for lent as more of honoring what happens when Easter comes.”

Ash Wednesday is not alone on the calendar; it has siblings all extending from the same religious month these are, Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. These all are connected to Lent in one way or another as it starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. The other holidays are Holy week or the last seven days of lent.

Ash wednesday is actually a beginning to an even bigger celebration in faith even though it is not really talked about and is only remembered by those who celebrate it. Ash Wednesday is in the background of the holiday list on the calendar, even though it is not really a holiday, it is still worth remembering because of the big impact it is supposed to have on the population as it starts a time of religious importance.

• Ash Wednesday

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• Ash Wednesday

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• Ash Wednesday

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• Ash Wednesday

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• Ash Wednesday

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• Ash Wednesday

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• Ash Wednesday

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

• Ash Wednesday

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• Ash Wednesday

Morp: Blast to the Past

• Ash Wednesday

History of the Pulitzer Prize

Ash Wednesday