What It’s Like to Be a Cheerleader at Riverton High?

Katelynn Case, Staff Writer

What is it like being on the high school cheerleading team? There are so many girls on the cheer team here at Riverton high, so it must be enjoyable. When you are on the team you are constantly involved in school activities, and that is a fun thing. Being involved in the school is such an important thing in high school, and that is what the cheer team is all about.

At the beginning of the season the very first thing they do is go to cheer camp. At cheer camp the girls go, and stay in the “dorms” for a few days, and each day they get up, and learn new things about cheer. They learn new things like new dances to help them improve their skills, and the most important thing about cheer camp is they learn how to work with the team. After cheer camp there isn’t that many events they do until school starts, but the girls spend the whole summer learning football cheers, and there are a lot of cheers to learn. As soon as school starts the cheerleaders are at all of the football games cheering the boys on, and getting the crowd wild. The cheerleaders on the JV team are at most of the HOT games, but they are still there supporting and cheering. After football season, comes basketball season. When basketball season comes they have to learn a whole new set of cheers.

That is a lot of work, but the girls do it and are always there to do what they need to do. During basketball season the cheerleaders are learning their competition routine. They compete at a lot of competitions throughout the year, and practicing to get to where they need to be takes a lot of time. Along with basketball games, and learning the routine, they also have to be involved in assemblies, and other school activities, which also takes a lot of their time. In the spring time they go out of state to compete with the routine that they worked so hard on making perfect. The cheerleaders are very busy girls.

Alyssa Lowman is on the cheer team and she says “I think it is way fun to bond with all of the girls, but I wish the coaches were more motivating. It motivates me to do good in school, but at comp season it gets really stressful.” Kenzie Edwards is also on the cheer team and she said “ It is really difficult to get yourself up and go to practice all the time, but once you are out competing and cheering with your best friends it is awesome.”

As you can tell being on the team takes a lot of time, and a lot of hard work. They do a lot for the school to make it a more uplifting place, but they don’t get enough credit for it. With the amount of time they spend working on things to make this school more cheerful, they are pretty cool. Being on the team takes work, and is stressful, but they manage to do it very well.

• What It’s Like to Be a Cheerleader at Riverton High?

Netflix releases trailer for new Stranger Things season

RHS Dance Company to perform

‘Sierra Burgess is a Loser’ on Netflix

Riverton Drama to perform ‘Peter and the Starcatcher’

Submit to Tabula Rasa

‘Wicked’ tickets for $25 at the Eccles Theater

Movie review: ‘Mary Poppins Returns’

‘The Office’ relates to high school students

Book review: Shattered Snow

Patriots’ Josh “Flash” Gordon suspended by NFL for substance abuse