New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Allie Harvey, Features/News Section Editor

As 2017 comes to a close and a new year full of possibilities lies ahead of us, most of us are faced with the terrifying concept of bettering ourselves to follow the traditions of millions before us. Our Instagram feeds fill with hundreds of ‘year in review” posts and a few posts from persistent goal setters who ACTUALLY achieved their New Year’s Resolutions.  The chant heard round the world, “New Year, new me” occupies every empty space in our minds, getting louder and louder until January first. We’ll all write a list of things we hope to improve on, usually it’s far too long a list to  actually achieve. Gym memberships are renewed, junk food is thrown away, and you find yourself texting all your loved ones about plans to get together for lunch at some unknown point in the future. This is the year that you’re going to reinvent yourself entirely. Who knows, maybe you’ll even get into a new hobby. It’s 2018, anything is possible with enough will power.

Will power is the driving force in everything we do. It is a lot easier to commit to going to the gym everyday in 2018, when you’re on the other side of December, far, far away from January. It takes roughly 21 days to form a new habit, and by January 21st, most people find themselves hitting a wall. In a survey conducted by Scranton University, only 8% of people end up following through with their New Year’s resolutions that they made in the previous year. MaKenzie Wagner (11) says, “The hardest part of making them is that time passes and you’re concerned  about lots of different things going on in your life. After January, they’re usually just not as important anymore. I’ve never followed through on one, because very few people do and they just become good ideas after a while. I’ve made a New Years Bucket List instead, which entails one fun thing to do every month.”

By committing to an immense amount of change in such a short period of time, you find yourself discouraged when you aren’t getting the results you expected. One of the biggest problems with New Year’s Resolutions is how much people demand out of them. By changing small habits in longer increments in time, you’re more likely to be pleased with the results. If you worked out three days in 2017, having a goal to run a marathon by December of the following year is unrealistic for most. Make several smaller goals and check up on your progress every week until they become a part of your daily routine. Becoming your best self is important, but when you’re trying to change habits you’ve formed years at a time, you have to learn to be patient with yourself and the process of change.  By setting small goals that pertain to a larger one, you’ll  be encouraged by the reward of success which will drive you to work harder and longer.

Sydney Snarr (11) says, “The hardest part about making New Year’s Resolutions is that I usually can’t decide what my resolutions should be. I have so much I’m working on in my life that it’s hard to pick just two or three. I usually don’t follow through on my New Year’s Resolutions because I don’t really have a plan on how to accomplish them, which I’m planning on changing this year. If you don’t have a plan, and if you aren’t completely motivated to complete your resolutions by the end of the year, you don’t do them. Also if you’re a forgetful person like me, then it makes it much harder to keep resolutions. My overarching goal this year is to make time for things that matter most to me whether it’s friends, hobbies, or school.”

Even though the concept of a fresh start and a blank slate can be daunting, it’s a new opportunity to learn and live. There are so many things that can be done to better ourselves, and even if it’s overwhelming at times, the extra effort is almost always worth it.  This year can be a year of progress, laughter, joy, lasting memories, and growth. Make it so.

Allie Harvey, Assistant Editor

Allie Harvey is a junior at Riverton with a love for all dogs. This is her first year on the paper staff and her second year on the Tabula Rasa staff....

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Elon Musk thinks we should work more

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Flu season: Prevention and treatment

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Celebrity endorsements in elections

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Need to know info about roller derby

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Why seniors should register to vote

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Homework overload: students quitting extracurriculars

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

PEHP’s new option

• New Years Resolutions Are Overrated

Tea Time with Mr. Gunther

New Years Resolutions Are Overrated