Graduating Early

Erica Olsen, Staff Writer

Senior year is exciting for numerous reasons, but graduation has to be the most exciting reason of all. For some students, it doesn’t even take senior year to be able to graduate. Some people spend countless hours doing packets and online courses in order to graduate up to a full year early. A majority of those who graduate early tend to graduate after their first semester of their senior year.

Those who choose to graduate early are typically influenced by college. The most common being student athletes who have received athletic and academic scholarships. Athletics are not the only influence for early graduation, but work also has a large impact on a lot of high school student’s lives as well as their futures. Often times students who graduate early end up working multiple jobs–putting them at full time working hours.
This is true for early graduate Kylee Carpenter, and she expressed that she is just simply “ready to move on” and also “excited for what the future has in store for [her].”

College and work aren’t the only things motivating students to graduate early. It may spark as a surprise to many to hear that multiple RHS students have recently graduated early and enlisted in the military–Hailey Harrison being one of them. Hailey made the decision to enlist in the military after learning about the many benefits that come with being in the Army. She has been interested in obtaining a career in the medical field, and when she discovered joining the military would be the easiest way to obtain that dream, as well as have her schooling paid for, she jumped on it. From there, she worked every day to finish her credits to be able to graduate early. After her early graduation request was accepted, she swore into the U.S. Army in November of 2017. Hailey believes that joining the U.S. Army is the best decision for her and for her future.

• Graduating Early

Why seniors should register to vote

• Graduating Early

Homework overload: students quitting extracurriculars

• Graduating Early

PEHP’s new option

• Graduating Early

Tea Time with Mr. Gunther

• Graduating Early

Preschools give kids a head start

• Graduating Early

Queer Eye Season 3 announced

• Graduating Early

Proposed gas tax increase to help education system

• Graduating Early

Parking at RHS more stressful this year

• Graduating Early

Riverton High girls soccer loses to Pleasant Grove in region game

• Graduating Early

Battle of the bands starting preparations for show in December

Graduating Early