Drill Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drill Team

Sadie McMorris, Sports & Clubs Section Editor

Drill team is a sport at Riverton High School that some may not even consider a sport, but according to the Utah High School Athletic Association or UHSAA, it is. For those who do not know what the drill team is, it is the competition dance team here at Riverton. The team competes in many different categories throughout the year, but competes at Region and State in only three categories: Military, Dance, and Character/Kick.

Drill team, or here at Riverton, Riverton Silverline, is a year-round sport. The team has tryouts in April, and goes all year till they finish the season off in the following March. The team practices early in the morning, and after school being here at 5:45 am or before that almost every morning, and then practicing 3-6 after school every Monday and Tuesday. Practicing up to twenty hours a week. The teams competition season ranges from December- February.

This year Silverline has been hard at work since May. They didn’t place very well at their first two competitions, but last Saturday, at their competition at UVU, they placed 4th in Military, 3rd in Dance, and 4th in Character with a penalty.

Silverline has had many struggles this year with their Head Coach quitting in September, but their Assistant Coach was hired as Head Coach about a month later, and kept things running. At their competition on Saturday one of their dancers got injured right before they went on the floor to compete in the dance category, but Silverline pulled together, and danced as a team.

Being on Drill is about more than dancing. The girls often say they aren’t a team, but a family because they are with each other more than they are with their own families. Second year and Junior on the team Kaitlin Olsen said her favorite part of drill is, “The bond of the team.” Freshman Hannah Watkins said her favorite part is, “How close we all are, even with the coaches, it’s like having another family.” Both statements prove how close all these girls really are. Drill also teaches discipline, hard work, dedication, and so much more.

Being on Drill is something really special to the 30 girls on the team, and they truly love what they do. Their two biggest competitions of the season are coming up, so make sure you come support them as the fight for the Region title, and a spot at the State Semifinals on January 27th at noon at Copper Hills High School. If they make it to the Semis they will compete to make it to the finals on February at UVU, and if they make it to the finals they will compete on February 3rd also at UVU. Come support your Riverton Silverline!

Sadie McMorris, Staff Writer

Sadie McMorris grew up in West Jordan, Utah, until the age of thirteen when she moved to Herriman, Utah. At age seventeen moved to Riverton, Utah.

Sadie...

• Drill Team

Submit to Tabula Rasa

• Drill Team

Sports & Clubs

Riverton swim makes history with back to back Region titles

• Drill Team

News

Is the US considering military action in Venezuela?

• Drill Team

News

JATC to host open house

• Drill Team

News

Polarity TE to revolutionize the medical field

• Drill Team

News

The government shut down

• Drill Team

‘Wicked’ tickets for $25 at the Eccles Theater

• Drill Team

Uncategorized

Are these the reasons your New Year’s resolutions failed?

• Drill Team

Sports & Clubs

Riverton Swim to change with graduating seniors

• Drill Team

Opinion & Advice

Investigation: lost in the vapor

Drill Team