The RHS Debate Club

Matthew Drachman, Staff Writer

Have you ever got into a fight with your parents? Perhaps you’ve been in a fight with a friend about something? Maybe you have been in a political debate and you wanted to make your point super good and destroy the other person.. No one? Ok. At least one time or another all of us have been in a situation like this. The ability to argue is a very good skill to have, some folks call it debate skill. If you have ever had an interest in a field or hobby in this field, you should consider joining RHS Debate Team.

Debate team is a great place for you to express yourself and be able to defend your views on anything. Something as simple as bagels or donuts all the way to sensitive issues such as abortion. Debate is a great place for you to debate any topic.  Debate also helps you build leadership skills such as confidence, firmness, wit, and patience. It’s a great place for future lawyers, politicians, and folks who are just interested in social, political, and economic policy.

In debate, you can go to several different competitions and compete for the awards.  There are several kinds of debate you can compete in. The two main kinds of debate are Policy, and Lincoln Douglas (LD). In Policy you mainly use facts to put forward a policy to fix the resolution,  In L.D. You debate over the moral behind the resolution at hand. I am personally a LD debater, it’s really fun.

Debate is a great experience for people who want to learn mental sharpness. After awhile of this stuff you start to see, and hear key things that cripple and argument. You see the weak points in your own article as well. It gives you a natural high as some folks would say.

Now you may be asking, Matthew how do I join? Well I will tell you. All you need to do to join is to show up at the debate meeting which is on Thursday’s from3 to 4. I went, and asked the President of the Debate club, Anna Thomas how she felt about debate, “Debate has completely changed my life. The way I think about important topics, and the way I think about myself is different, and more positive. I love debate because I can argue and have fun at the same time and meet tons of new people while doing it!”

I asked a sweet gal named Katelynn Case if she would join, she said, “I might, it seems interesting.”

So I would love to ask folks to come and join debate!  It’s awesome!

• The RHS Debate Club

Will’s Thoughts

• The RHS Debate Club

Graduating Early

• The RHS Debate Club

Child Legislation

• The RHS Debate Club

10 Date Ideas Before Sweetheart’s

• The RHS Debate Club

Swim Team

• The RHS Debate Club

Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

• The RHS Debate Club

Seeing Silver Rush

• The RHS Debate Club

Why Hope Week Is So Important

• The RHS Debate Club

5 Things You Didn’t Know About Color Guard

• The RHS Debate Club

Battle For the Net

The RHS Debate Club