Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Matthew Drachman, Staff Writer

Thomas Monson, the 16th President of the LDS Church, has died at the age of 90 on January 2nd 2018, of natural causes.  His death sparked wide scale mourning across the LDS Community and  much sadness that shocked millions across the world.  His death had been reacted to by many.

President Monson was said to be known a lot for his humor by those he had known and was close too.  He was also known for his kindness and for his speaking ability, as well as his leadership and wisdom during his time as Leader of the LDS Church.  President Monson had served the church for ten years until his passing.

During his time as the Prophet of the LDS church had accomplished many things.  During his ten years he dedicated 14 temples (rededicating 4 of them).  During his time as the counselor before he was the president of the church he had dedicated 7 temples.  His volunteer work with many charities and the Boy Scouts of America have also made a time lasting mark on history.  In 2011 Thomas Monson was  ranked in the top 10 of most admired men in America.

His death had a lot of reactions across the country; President Trump saying, “Melania and I are deeply saddened by the death of Thomas S. Monson, a beloved President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  While serving for over half a century in the leadership of his church, President Monson demonstrated wisdom, inspired leadership, and great compassion.  Considered a prophet by the nearly 16 million members of the LDS Church, his message was one of optimism, forgiveness, and faith.  Our thoughts and prayers are with his three children and the rest of the Monson family.”

Senator Orrin Hatch saying in a tweet, “President Monson was among the greatest men I have ever known. Service was his motto and humility his hallmark. Countless were the lives he touched as a prophet, father, and friend. Today, I join millions across the globe in mourning his passing.”

Mitt Romney saying on Facebook, “Thomas S. Monson walked where Jesus walked, lifting the downtrodden, comforting the wounded, healing the sick, brightening the lives of the lonely at heart. More even than his words of strength and inspiration, he will be remembered for the abundance of his love and the overflowing of his compassion for every one of God’s children. Ann and I and our family join the widows and orphans and homeless and countless others who today mourn the life of a true prophet of God and apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Students hear at RHS have also been affected by this loss.  I asked Aubrey Wright about how his passing, “I’m sad that he’s gone, but I’m happy he’s not in pain anymore and that he’s with his wife and God, it’s just going to be weird having the prophet change now.”  Grayden Larson also saying, “It’s definitely sad but it was expected and he’s in a better place now.”  Another student saying, “He was a good man and I’m sure by many people he will be missed.”

Thomas Monson was a brilliant man, and a kind spirited person.  I wish many blessing upon his family and onto all of his friends.  May he rest in peace.

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

Morp: Blast to the Past

• Thomas Monson, 1927-2018

History of the Pulitzer Prize

Thomas Monson, 1927-2018