5 Things You Didn’t Know About Color Guard

Marima Jules, Staff Writer

The Color Guard is noted to accompany the marching band at performances, however, most people don’t know much about Color Guard. Yes, they are the people who spin flags and rifles, but they shouldn’t be limited to that. While the marching band provides the music, Color Guard is the story behind that. Here are some more things that you probably didn’t know:

1. The members are nervous just like any other team member on the football team before a game.  Kate Kunz, a new member remembers being “completely terrified.” She remembers getting warmed up, and doing body stretches in order to prepare herself to manipulate the flag. “Tryouts were real stressful” stated Jaidyn Moser, now captain of the team. “You have to be capable of putting your all in this sport. Be ready to twist your wrist all the way around,” says Kari Mortensen in regards to her technique.
  2. Like any other performance you see, Color Guard is hard work. As an audience watching a performance, there’s a mindset that the performer has innate talent. While this might be true, the performers usually have to work their butt off. “ You have to be able to put your emotions aside, and if you are having a bad day, and the piece is a happy one it will show on your face.” That’s what makes us different than any other competitive sports. Kari also mentions that Color Guard is more than performing.
  3. The team is a family. The members help each learn techniques and expressions. Kate has validated this idea saying “ I remember being completely terrified but these girls took me in and helped me learn all of the material super quickly during band camp.” Because the pieces require more than physical movement, Kari remembers being frustrated because she couldn’t master a routine. However, she also remembers a song that the members would play that would ultimately calm her down.
  4. There are moments where the team members have to wing it. It’s similar to forgetting your lines or routine in the middle of a song or dance. Jaidyn can attest to that. She remembers her “last competition titled Mirrorim. It was so much fun, being with the matching band! It was a very fast paced show, and that was the first show I ever spun on rifle line.”
  5. Everything has to do with recognizing the movements of the flag and syncing in with your own. Doing something simultaneously is not as simple as focusing on one thing alone. The most interesting thing Kari could tell anyone about Color Guard is that in essence Color Guard is “taking a piece of equipment and using the physics to manipulate it.”

Marima Jules, Staff Writer

Marima (Abbey) Jules was born and raised in Irvington, New Jersey. She has a twin (who is constantly reminded that thirty minutes is older), two brothers,...

• 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Color Guard

Why seniors should register to vote

Homework overload: students quitting extracurriculars

PEHP’s new option

Tea Time with Mr. Gunther

Preschools give kids a head start

Queer Eye Season 3 announced

Proposed gas tax increase to help education system

Parking at RHS more stressful this year

Riverton High girls soccer loses to Pleasant Grove in region game

Battle of the bands starting preparations for show in December