The Greatest Showman

Sadie McMorris, Sports & Clubs Section Editor

Hugh Jackman once again has starred in another musical, and was just as brilliant in The Greatest Showman as he was in Les Miserables. Hugh continued to amaze us with not only his acting, but his singing as well. We knew Hugh would be great, but what surprised everyone was how great his co-stars Zac Efron, Zendaya, and Keala Settle were too. Senior Ally Yeager who is a huge fan of the movie said, “I love The Greatest Showman so much because it made me feel every emotion possible. Great music, great actors, and a great time.”

The Greatest Showman is the story of P.T. Barnum who created the Barnum and Bailey Circus, and the Ringling Brothers Circus. The Barnum and Bailey circus performed their last show in May of 2017, after 146 years of shows. This circus was also known as ¨The Greatest Show on Earth” hence the name of the movie. The movie was brilliant, but what made it as successful as it was was the music.

The music was written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul who also wrote the music for La La Land which came out earlier last year. The songwriters received the Golden Globe for best original song last Sunday night for the song This is Me from The Greatest Showman. The album for The Greatest Showman also hit Number 1 for the Billboard 200 on Sunday. The music has had so much success, and some believe has led to the movie having a lot of success.

The song that has gotten the most recognition was mentioned above called This is Me. The song is about standing up for who you are, and not let anyone tear you done. It is very powerful, and is sung by Keala Settle, and The Greatest Showman Ensemble. Senior Bailey Harris said it was her favorite song because, “I like the message it’s trying to portray that you shouldn’t be ashamed of who you are, and what other people think of you.” Many of the songs are powerful, but a few that are our favorite are The Greatest Show, Rewrite the Stars, A Million Dreams, and Never Enough. The Greatest Show is the beginning scene, and gives the audience chills as the movie starts because the first line of the whole movie is “Ladies and Gents this is the moment you’ve waited for.”  It is sung by Hugh Jackman, and the cast.  Rewrite the Stars is sung by Zac Efron, and Zendaya as they do trapeze throughout the song. It is a very cool scene, and shows a side of the actors no one’s ever seen before. A Million Dreams is the song that is the story of the whole movie in one song. The song is about following your dreams, and becoming who you want to be. My personal favorite song is Never Enough. Never Enough is a very powerful song, and is sung by the Character Jenny Lind who is a Swedish Opera singer in the movie. The song is sung by Loren Allred who is not the actress who plays Jenny Lind. However, Loren does an amazing job, and conveys so much emotion in her voice it will leave you in tears.

Overall, The Greatest Showman is an outstanding movie, and is good for people of all ages. With a good story line, and brilliant music it will make you leave the theater wanting to see it again while downloading the whole soundtrack onto your phone.

• The Greatest Showman

Drake Drops Two New Songs Almost Silently

• The Greatest Showman

The Greatest Showman: Review and Critic

• The Greatest Showman

Oh, hi Mark.

• The Greatest Showman

Eminem’s Newest Release

• The Greatest Showman

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

• The Greatest Showman

Slenderman: The Movie

• The Greatest Showman

Riverton Art & Film Fest

• The Greatest Showman

Culture Crew’s Silver Rush

• The Greatest Showman

Justice League Review

• The Greatest Showman

A Bad Moms Christmas

The Greatest Showman