Battle For the Net

Mariano Lopez, Staff Writer

You’re in your room peacefully laying on your bed after a long day at school, we’ve all been there and are guilty of this. Just as you’re about to send your daily streak message to your friends on Snapchat, the app locks you out! You stare in disbelief and realize you forgot to pay your subscription to your “social applications” like Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. This is the type of issue that we are most likely going to encounter if net neutrality ceases to exist. So what is net neutrality?

Net neutrality is a term that describes the principle that all internet providers must treat all data the same and equally, to not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication. Because of this, internet providers are unable to intentionally slow or block websites and charge money for access. All that could very soon change, it’ll be almost like cable-TV, where companies determine what you see and how much of it you’re allowed to watch. This opens up the possibility of censorship of speech as well as opportunities for companies to make a quick dirty buck.

I went and asked fellow students of Riverton High and asked what do they think about the federal communications commission trying to disband net neutrality? I interviewed Garrett Jensen, a junior at Riverton High, who believes that, “Net neutrality is very important to the internet community and the United States. It represents our freedoms and the idea that corporations do not have a complete control over society.” I then questioned him on what his thoughts were on the F.C.C. trying to disband net neutrality. “It essentially takes away the freedom that the internet provides, if those ISPs (Internet service providers) were able to control the internet and what we could access, it would not allow many start ups”

I then sought out for a different perspective on the issue, so I went to Colby Jones, another student attending Riverton High in his senior year. I asked him, “How do you feel about the F.C.C. trying to disband net neutrality? Would you say they have good cause to do so?”

He replied with, “I hate it, I feel like they don’t have a good cause for it either. I get that making money is the reason to go into business, but to violate our rights for personal gain? It just shouldn’t be allowed to happen.”

Losing the concept of net neutrality opens up opportunity for corruption and dishonesty in companies. The same ones that are in charge of providing our internet service, not a very good idea is it? You can help by going onto www.battleforthenet.com and write a letter urging Congress to not let the F.C.C have their way.

• Battle For the Net

Ben McAdams and Jenny Wilson easily win nomination of the Democratic Party

• Battle For the Net

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• Battle For the Net

Summer is coming! Here’s What Not to Do

• Battle For the Net

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• Battle For the Net

JATC Apprenticeship Fair

• Battle For the Net

This is what is coming up for Seniors

• Battle For the Net

The Struggles of 4th Quarter

• Battle For the Net

Riverton High School Students Windshield Wiper Blades Are Being Stolen

• Battle For the Net

Morp: Blast to the Past

• Battle For the Net

History of the Pulitzer Prize

Battle For the Net